
*At the time that picture was taken, my dad was FOUR YEARS YOUNGER than I am now. GAH!
*I was in New York City in November 2001. I saw so many incredible memorials all over the city; I particularly remember one outside a fire station near Lincoln Center. I didn't take any pictures because at the time it felt disrespectful. I wish I would have.
*On September 11th, I was working on the 24th floor of the Hunt Oil Building in downtown Dallas.
*I sleep on flannel sheets all year round.
*I keep my thermostat set to 72 degrees, even in the summer. This is SCANDALOUS, and I KNOW THIS. I can't stand being hot in my own house.
*I know I'm a downer and completely, utterly, lame lately, but I'm okay. Thanks so much to everyone who has emailed to check on me. People are mostly good, huh? I think so.

39 comments:
My last name is also an Italian name that starts with a "C." I've only had it for a year and I'm already beaten down by people pronouncing it incorrectly. I just answer to whatever they manage to get out.
I put it on 76 and that damn Pooples freaks the fuck out. I'm spending the night and your place.
SLP, do you accept MRS. SPAGHETTI? Maybe you're just not beaten down enough yet. Heh.
AAAHHHHHH.....I've never seen a picture of you when you were little. You were so cute and so was your sister!
Now I get the Italian connection....it started when you were in kindergarten!!!
You look exactly the same (as yourself now, not as your sister).
"Even in the summer"? You mean even in the winter, right? 72 isn't that scandalous for the summer.
I wish I could sleep with flannel sheets, but something with the fuzzies makes me sneeze and all congested. I don't know that I'm actually allergic to flannel, but it's annoying enough that I can't use them.
Anon-it's pretty scandalous considering the amount of energy it takes to keep a house that cool in TEXAS in the summertime. My electric bill is like half of my MORTGAGE in the summer.
We don't pay our own electric bill, and thus it is VERY TEMPTING to just leave the A/C on ALL THE TIME in the summer. We don't quite do that, but we are likely very wasteful. I HATE being hot.
I think everyone is feeling downerish lately. I can't wait for this week to end.
Of course, I am ending it on the UPSWING of a waxing appointment. GAH.
I was in NYC in March of 2001 and many of the memorials were still up. I felt a twinge of guilt taking pictures of it all but I considered it a part of history that I didn't want to forget.
On a completely random note. I saw a license plate last night that said "GOO BAH" and they had a Boston Red Sox plate cover around it. Although I've never met your husband, I thought of him and laughed! :)
I live about 100 miles south of death valley in the desert.
73 degrees? My god girl, that is freezing!!! My house is at 83 degrees with the outside temp at 115 degrees yesterday, and I'm totally comfortable.
We leave our thermostat on 72 all during the hot Texas summer as well. Last year we had it on 70 all summer because I was pregnant and FREAKING HOT ALL THE TIME. (My poor husband and son were sleeping in sweats, though!) Our electric bill was out of control but it was WORTH it.
I agree. Totally worth it. I'm not willing to be miserable for an extra $50 a month in pocket change. Fuck that.
Um, we keep our AC on 72 or thereabouts as well. We let it get warmer in the house during the day when we are not there though, even though it takes like, half a bazillion years to cool the house down in the afternoons when we get home.
Dude, we live in the south. It is HOT.
Also, on September 11th, I was at home playing with Brother who was 9 months old at the time (He is 7 now. Can you believe it has been that long?) Then I had a dentist appointment in the afternoon, which I was freaked out about going to, but my mom talked me into it. I was convinced my house was going to get bombed. It was such a scary time.
My husband wants the heat set at 72 in the winter and the air set at 68 in the summer. When he is not looking, I always reset it. In the winter, he always wants to walk around the house in shorts and an undershirt, and in the summer, he wants to wear sweatpants! OH MY GOD.
I LOVE flannel sheets. Alas, husband hates them.
Hope you have a good weekend.
I get weirded out too about my parents ages when they had us.
and I love flannel sheets - sooo soft
Okay, total dumb chick moment - which one is you and which one is your sister? I feel like this should be obvious, but yet...
You will probably be horrified to know that we don't have air conditioning. But I feel ya, I keep the house way hotter than most people consider acceptable in the winter.
i would totally sleep on flannel sheets year-round. except my husband would probably divorce me.
hrm..might be worth it. hahaha!
On 9/11, I was at work, and our president told everyone to get back to work (we were watching footage on TV in a conference room). People still needed their BUSINESS CARDS, national catastrophes be damned.
Also, I get freaked out when I remember my mom had an 11-year-old when she was my age. GAH.
Ami, I'm the one on the left. I've always been dark-haired, and my sister blonde. Total mystery.
We only put the air conditioner on a few times a summer, and even then it's only for a couple of hours at a time. We sink so much money into that damned pool and we hardly use it if the air conditioner is on. Of course, I'm in Canada, not in Texas, which I'm is a whole other (hot, humid) ball game.
I do the matching outfits thing with my girls and they're 5 years apart! My husband always asks why I do that to them and I answer, "because I can" (wah ha ha)!
What a great picture!
Our thermostat stays on 72 pretty much year-round. Plus I have a fan on my nightstand that blows on me during the night. My body temp always seems to be about 10 degrees hotter than everyone else. The husband sleeps in flannel pajamas every night, even during the summer. I don't think I could sleep on flannel sheets. The hotness!
I used to sleep on flannel all year round til I got married. My hubby is a McHotterson and can't stand all the flannel. I miss it.
I just ordered the FREE new thermostat for TXU that will allow me to program my thermostat from any computer so now I can save money by putting it at like 80 during the day and at 4 before I get home zap it to 72 so when I am done fighting the road warriors and road ragers on our stupid highways and I am stressed to the gills, I can walk into my cool home and say "Ahhhh..."
Damn, that was the longest run-on sentence EVER...
-We keep our house at 68 degrees year round. Occasionally 70 or so in the winter.
- I CAN NOT WAIT to dress my girls in matching outfits.
- On 9/11 I worked from 11:15-8 though nobody actually worked. I remember being on my way in and noticing how weird it was that the sky was so blue and pretty, when they announced the plane hitting The Pentagon and screaming in the car "What the hell is going on!!" We went to Red Lobster for dinner that night. Nobody called us at work for a good 2 weeks; we all sat around and did nothing.
OMG! Photo of you as a crabby 6-year-old? My whole day is improved.
Also, the two of you look like the girl versions of my first two boys: older crabby darker-haired one and younger sunshiney blond-haired one.
By the time my mother was my age she had popped out me and my two sisters. My parents are about to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. It occurred to me that even if I get married like right this very second (not likely) that I wouldn't have a 50th wedding anniversary unless I live to be 82. Not really sure if I want to be that old. Ever.
My last name is Italian and Ciceretti-ish and I would not tolerate Mrs. Spaghetti. Or anything else. I will accept Mrs. C from little lispers, it's more sanitary for all concerned.
72 is too freaking hot!! Remind me never to live in Texas!!
Glad you are okay. And I had no idea it was scandalous to set the summer thermostat at 72. Ours is always like that too. What the hell am I paying my electric bill for if not to be COMFORTABLE.
Oh, hot days of our childhoods- there was nothing like them, was there? Also: blizzards of our childhood- we sure don't get snow like we used to!
It's funny, I thought the blondie was you- she looks like you now, but then I remembered you were older than your sister...
At the age I am now, my parents had a 13 yr old, a 10 yr old, a 7 yr old, and a 5 year old. ABSOLUTELY NUTS. A THIRTEEN YEAR OLD (me)! No wonder they had NO CLUE how to handle us- they were still going through puberty themselves when they procreated!
I LOVE the face you're pulling in that photo. Seriously.
On 9/11, I was at work, in a psych hospital, surrounded by literally psychotic people. Talk about surreal.
You're not lame. I'm glad that you're all right.
Have you tried Jersey sheets? T-shirt cotton. Not quite as hot as flannel, and Oh.My.God. Comfortable.
Total bitch to fold though.
Lots of 6- and 7-year old memories out there in blogland today...
http://meandyouandellie.blogspot.com/2008/06/weekend-3-way_20.html
I am purely of the "put on a sweater" if you're cold and "sweat" if you're hot school of thought. Can't help it. Raised that way. At least my eletric bill is low.....
I say screw the electric bill, keep the temp at what you want, that's what our forefathers worked so hard for! The ability to have electricity and air!
When I lived in Texas in the Dark Ages...I kept my air on 69-70 and wore a sweater in the house. Makes me smile.
Now, I don't have flannel sheets-but I do have two blankets and a comforter on my bed ALL YEAR ROUND.
AD resembles you very much.
I live in the NYC metro area, I hate even talking about that day. Lost a couple of friends and a aquaintances that day. And I knew it when the buildings went down because I knew what floors they worked on. My high school friend was actually one of the jumpers. He had a baby and another on the way.
I have a pretty-much unpronounable cajun french last name that I took on when I got married. I will answer to ANYTHING even close--it's not worth it to correct people. I gave the kids a little device to help them on the first day of school, but I also let them call me an extremely shortened version of my name.
I was teaching first grade on 9/11 and had to have stern words with other teachers who would not stop talking about it in front of the little kids (duh!). People here were worried because we live very near a sizable Air Force base and thought it might be targeted. There was a sonic boom here late that afternoon which freaked everyone right the hell out.
++++
We keep our air at 78 in the summer and it is not cool enough for me, but I lost the battle.
72 is NOT scandalous around here, for sure. This confirms my suspicions that I would never survive in the South. I am a wilting flower in the heat, useless and grumpy. I bet I'd be thinner though; when it's hot I never want to eat anything but watermelon and grapes. How do you manage Totinos pizzas when it's ninety five outside?
Post a Comment