Thursday, February 21, 2008

Three Things-Stuff That Is Awesome Edition

*Early voting has started in Texas, and since I was off on Tuesday, I went ahead and voted. My polling place was at the public library, which I must say really ups the Solemn Serious Decisionmaking vibe. I felt like I was in line to view a casket, or something. Anyway! Are you ready for the meaningless stats?
  • Number of people voting on a Tuesday at 1:30 pm-10
  • Number of women-7
  • Average age of voters, according to the Tessie's a Judgemental Bitch Age Verification Scan-50
  • Average age of voting site workers-107.5
  • Number of democrats on sign-in sheet-35
  • Number of republicans on sign-in sheet-32
  • Number of people who had a voter registration card-1 (one of the manifestations of the nervous tummy is the fear that I will be turned away for stuff due to a technicality)

As always, I provide the useless data, you provide the conclusions.


*Have you guys SEEN this? I actually saw the ad on a VAN (down by the river). It's a sports drink! Based on the assumption that pickle juice is a delicious and rejuvenating fluid! Just like I've been TELLING you guys for AGES. If they come out with a Totino's Party Pizza sports drink, I'm going to have to contact my attorney.



*AD has a thing for sunglasses lately. I think it's because both BR and I wear glasses, and she's in one of those phases where she wants to do everything we do. Well, other than watch TV. She's still refusing to do that, the little tyrant. Anyway, she even has to have sunglasses on when she's eating her [insert inappropriate breakfast food here].

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diggin the shades! (And gagging a little on the pickle juice)

Sarah said...

Voter registration card? Are you SURE BR is the only fussypants around there?
Also, Addy has the exact same sunglasses AND cheapo pink Nuby sippy cup!

Anonymous said...

You've got a casket-y library? Too bad. Our is pretty awesome, but the next town over is staffed by the Superior Disapproving Librarian types. (And two towns over from that is....wow. We actually got chewed out for low talking in the children's library.)

I didn't know Texas, or indeed anyone, had early voting in person. I thought that phrase meant "by absentee ballot". What do I know?

LoriD said...

My kids all went through a sunglasses phase. Makes for a lot of cute photo ops - especially when one of the lenses falls out and they still wear them. That's comedy gold.

Michelle Smiles said...

They let Democrats vote in Texas? Huh...who knew? I thought it was red all the way down there.

Flibberty said...

I too bring my voter registration card because I follow rules and do not take chances, mostly because I am perpetually anxious about doing the wrong thing. It's hard to be me.

I was a poll watcher for the 2004 pres election and OMG I was the only person who wasn't terrified of the electronic voting machines because I was the only person under the age of 1,000.

email said...

Cocoa Puffs, Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles?

LOVE the glasses!

My conclusion is that people are OLD in Texas! Didn't you bring down the average age AT ALL? Everyone else there averaged 63 and 1/3rd? God help me, I did the math.

SLynnRo said...

You know, I wear sunglasses in my office at work. I hate artificial light. And no, I'm not kidding. So I'm with AD on this.

And you and your pickle juice are just nasty. NASTY NASTY.

Kelsey said...

Ha! Now I want to know what inappropriate breakfast food that was. Harper routinely eats graham crackers and goldfish crackers, and sometimes cheddar triscuts for breakfast. . . with a glass of milk. Come on, is that sooo different from cereal?

I think the average age of poll workers nationwide is about 115 -- why is that?

Jess said...

I love voting in DC, because they give you a little color-coded card based on what party you are. And so they have a little tiny stack of green party cards, a slightly larger stack of Republican cards, and a big giant stack of Democrat cards. Because this city is great.

Animanous said...

This post cracked me up, and so did that pickle juice web site, what with Jason Witten's NFL sponsorship of said product. It seems (to me) that a huge NFL player thrusting a bottle of pickle juice in your face is a very strange juxta position.

Anonymous said...

There are folks that drink pickle juice out of the jar, so you gotta give the people what they want, right? But somehow I thought this would be an underground cult thing, and not widely advertised.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

The pickle juice thing made me want to barf up my totally appropriate breakfast.

Christina Schmidt said...

MMM pickle juice - the new age water!

Marie Green said...

Ha, ha- pickle juice. THAT gives a person some YUMMY smelling breath... not that I KNOW or anything...

Isn't this copycat age hilarious? (Also, a big pain in the ass, so thank goodness for the funny stuff, right?) Marin likes to unload the dishwasher, one piece of silverware at a time, and we MUST say Thank you after EACH PIECE.

Yeah for voting! Yeah for voting stats! Yeah for centenarian (what's the word I'm actually looking for???) voter-workers!

Saly said...

Our little Diva is all about the shades too. And matching purses. She does not get this from me……

I need to find that pickle juice! A pregnant gal's dream!!

Alice said...

omg, VOMIT re: pickle juice. that's... horrific.

i am uninformed with this early voting deal. you can just go.. vote? before voting day? why?

Anonymous said...

I also don't understand the early voting? I'm surprised TX Republicans are voting at all seeing as how there are no Bush's on the ballot. Sweet Jesus, Ava looks exactly like you!

artemisia said...

Yay for voting! I've just realized I don't know where my Western State voter registration card is - *gasp*! Damn. But I know exactly where my Virginia card is? Why do I still have that?

I would enjoy the first two sips of the pickle juice thing, but then would gag upon the third sip.

Ad is so freakin' adorable. The combo of her utter cuteness and your laid-backness makes me think having kids is not, in fact, the end of the world.

Whimsy said...

Little glamour girl, isn't she? And please just say she isn't enjoying PICKLE JUICE as a balanced part of her totally inappropriate breakfast.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Dude, I got a WHOLE pickle jar full of juice for ya. And to think I was about to pour it down the drain...

Y'all know AD needs the glasses now that she's a Texan. Y'all got bright sun there.

Y'all.

Laura said...

I always carry my card too, although I don't think anyone has actually seen it but me. And, I have to say I am in love with H.E.B. and the Love Dip they sell. It's almost enough to make me move to Texas...almost.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I love pickle juice as much as the next person, but THAT is wrong.

Tess said...

Leetle behind on the comment-answering today! Cripes!

The early voting is for the Texas primaries, which are officially March 4th.

If you must know, the inappropriate breakfast food is Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Kate said...

Funny, I also voted on Tuesday and the average age of voting site workers at our location was also 107.5.

Shelly said...

Dude, Cinnamon Toast Crunch is Delish! She is so, so cute!

Farrell said...

AD can't help it - She's a STAH (is that how BR would say "star" or am I totally getting it wrong here?)

Misty said...

Love the stats, but it is a little sad. Average age of 50? No offense to the elders of the community, but folks of that age aren't known for their progressive open minds, usually. No wonder the country sucks.

Anonymous said...

You think Pickle Juice is bad? You should check out this link: http://themomdiaries.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/those-international-aisles-are-interesting/