This post is part of -R-'s Blog Share and was written by an anonymous blogger (not Tessie). Tessie's post today appears anonymously on another Blog Share participant's blog. Tessie hopes you will play along and read and comment and all that jazz even though it's totally bizarre how she's gone all Third Person on your ass here.
My grandmother has informed her four children that she is cutting three of them out of her will.
This is the sort of vindictive, mean-spirited thing a person usually does to have a final revenge from beyond the grave, but that would not be her style, because she would not be around to witness the hurt and anger that would result.
Actually, it's much worse. She does not actually have a will. She is telling her children this now so that they will feel compelled to follow her wishes after she is gone even though if there is no legal document backing any of it up. Even if the law says that without a will, all four of her children will inherit her estate. She refuses to get a will because, she claims, she doesn't have anything.
I knew my grandmother was crazy, but this really takes the cake. This revelation upset my mom and her two brothers who are cut out, and -- shocker of shockers! -- my grandmother is now upset that THEY are upset! There isn't anything to give away, you see! How dare they want smaller and smaller pieces of nothing? Can't they see that their brother is the only one who really needs the nothing she will be giving? What a bunch of ingrates! If she hadn't already cut them out, she definitely would now!
It is NOT about money: my grandmother does not have any. But I think it's telling that that is how she is framing the issue. It either has not occurred to her that anyone would want something to remember her by, or she is desperate for people to SAY that they do. I suspect that it is the latter, if only because it would give her such pleasure to hold it over the head of whoever cracked and said it first. ("You want my spoon collection because it reminds you of me? Yes, I knew you would want it. Too bad. It's going to your big brother anyway. It would be too much work to put all of my stuff in four boxes instead of one. That would be TIRING. What, you think I'm healthy enough to pack boxes?")
And there is nothing I can say other than to comfort my mother by pointing out that she didn't cause any of this, and reassure her that today is Blog Share day, so nobody knows it is me and nobody knows it is her. Really. Well, one of my siblings does, but none of this is a surprise to my family.
I wouldn't post this on my own blog because my mother wouldn't want it there, but I know she will read this and recognise herself. I want her to know that our family loves her very much and that she doesn't deserve any of the mind games her mother has played on her over the past few decades.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

36 comments:
Oh, yuck. Your mother (or ANYONE) definitely does not deserve that kind of treatment.
This blog share is a great idea! I'm sorry for your family troubles, though.
{{{HUGS}}} for your Mom.
Wow, if my MIL weren't already dead, I'd think she was your grandma.
What an emotional terrorist.
Oh my. Your mother and I could sit down and have coffee one day. Her mother and mine are a lot alike. She needs to realize that the games are just that - games. She has the power to walk away. Her mother plays those games because she can - other people (your mother and her brothers) have given her power over them (the power to upset them) and she is exploiting it. Anyway, that's what it sounds like to me.
Wow, this is awful. I agree with Shelly, though, that the more people allow this ridiculousness to upset them, the more your grandmother will keep taunting people like this. I hope your mother is able to distance herself from this whole situation.
Ugh. Anything involving wills is horrible. My parents have been going through something similar for years now and it really does tear families apart.
Oh my God! I always KNEW my mother had 4 other children! Sorry to say, as my mother ages, she has become, what was that called? An emotional terrorist? Yep thats it! Your mother is indeed not alone. Nor are you. It's hard for anyone to make distinction that someone that BORE them, has turned to these measures to CONTROL them. It's all about control, and the aged losing control of the few things they still have control over. We are all still somebody's children even though we are various ages of adulthood. I sure don't want to evolve into that type.
this blog share is a neat idea
I like that "emotional terrorist" term...I guess we all have one of those in our family.
why do our family members fuck with us like this? WHY!?!?!? i'm really sorry your mom and her brothers (and you!) have to go through this. what a total mind fuck.
Oh, I'm so sorry you and your mom are going through this!
Oh, man. That is cold. And messed up. And did I mention COLD? I feel bad for your mom and her siblings.
This is just awful. I'm so sorry but I hope your mom realizes how much you love her and can get over what your grandmother is doing.
Emotional terrorist... I've known a few of those
Makes me glad I am an only child. It is so hard to imagine how very cruel people can be to those they are supposed to love the most. I mean, really. Who do you love more than your own kids? And that is how you treat them? Wow.
Wow, that is messed up. Although I do kind of give her credit for bringing it up herself, instead of leaving it for after she dies, because then the siblings would be angry at the sibling who GOT the stuff, rather than at the grandmother who dictated it. Is the inheriting sibling needy? The other siblings didn't do anything to tick her off, right? She's just a crazy lady, right? Geez. I'm sorry for everyone. Maybe it's better not to have something physical to remember her by, if this is the kind of memory she engenders.
I hate wills and inheritances. Even if you dont have anything it causes problems. My family is a great example of all that. I feel for you and hope everything works out. Just grab the spoon collection when no one is looking. And DENY getting it till you die.
Wow, that's terrible. I'm so sorry.
Oy. Is your grandmother related to my husband's family? Because this is TOTALLY something they would do.
I am so sorry for your mom and her siblings. People are so crazy sometimes.
Yikes. No one deserves this type of treatment. I'm sorry your family is experiencing grandma-propelled drama.
Wow, that is just wrong. How does the sibling who's getting the most nothing feel? I hope that s/he isn't that kind of person also.
That sounds supremely messed up. I hope she's getting whatever pleasure she can out of her scheming, because it sounds like she's not going to a very nice place...
Thank you all for your kind words.
This isn't really a secret, but it's definitely something I can't post on my own blog. I am pretty sure it would upset my mom to see it there.
It has been great fun to participate in Blog Share: Summer Edition. I've found several great new blogs to add to my RSS feed. Many thanks to -R-.
This is a tough situation, and I completely understand because my grandmother is doing the same thing! She says she's leaving everything to one of her kids and leaving the other two (one of which is my dad) with nothing because, as she says, "they don't need the money." SO not the point!
Our grandmothers chose to have multiple kids; they should split the money evenly. End of story.
Controlling people want to control beyond the grave. You can never make them happy. It sounds like letting your mother know you all love her is the best thing. In reality, money makes things easier but it doesn't make people happy. Your grandmother sounds like someone who cannot ever be happy, she sounds like my mother in-law. Good Luck.
That's just absolutely insane and so often what happens in the case of parents with larger families, it seems. I've been watching a good friend of mine go through this for years. Of course, no will. Her mother is now gone. And they are left with a mess and twisted psyches because of it.
Ahh yes, the family crazy.
Similar stuff has occurred in my family. Sometimes when a person comes up with something like this, so ridiculous, spiteful and insane, I have to consciously separate myself from it and let it reflect only on them. It's hard. But the more crap they pull, the easier it becomes.
Lots of positive thoughts are being sent to your mom!
Yup. Every family has an emotional terrorist Mandy. I don't know where they come from, but they find us and drive us crazy. And why do we care enough to be driven crazy? Stupid genetics. And guilt. Never underestimate the guilt our family can produce in us.
We can only control our responses to the terrorist. I, for example, have denied my terrorist/mother grandchildren because I refuse to extend the chain another generation. And we all know it would get extended. Because the sad, sad fact is, no matter how much they drive us crazy, eventually we turn into our mothers.
But I'm not bitter.
I love this. I want to talk, to rant, to rave, to drip with vitriol about my in-laws, and never could before.....
Hmmm......
(Not, of course, that it's all about *ME*)
My friend's grandmother was exactly like this. I couldn't believe that any grandmother could behave this way. When she passed away, my friend was relieved for her mother; not a tear was shed.
That's terrible! Wonder what your grandmother's response would be if your mother just said "Ok. Whatever." and walked away? My grandmother ignored me most of my life because she didn't like my mother. I never shed a tear for her.
That SUCKS.BIG.FAT.ONES.
I hope your mom knows that you all are there for her and that family drama is just not worth it.
Oh my gosh. Death and wills usually bring out the worst in families, but this takes the cake! BEFORE THE DEATH?? jeez. what a mess. I'm sorry for your mom. :(
I want Tessie back!! Not that I didn't enjoy reading thsi blogger, but I miss Tessie!!
My grandma is threatening to do the same thing to my aunt. But that is mostly because she's a bitch. And that's my next Blog Share post.
I love Blog Share for so many reasons.
Post a Comment