Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Three Things: NICE MOOD Edition

*Lasah update! I had a check-up this morning, and I'm seeing 20/15 in my right eye (the one with the flap smoothed), but my vision is actually getting a little WORSE in the left! BAH! It's 20/30, down from a "soft" 20/20 two weeks ago. It looked a little inflamed to the doctor, so I'm going to take some anti-inflammatory drops and go back on Friday to see if that's the reason and if things have improved. It's possible I'll have to have an adjustment on my left eye too, which will obviously suck, and is getting a bit old if I'm being honest. Ugg. Is this boring? This is boring. I just thought I should update in the interest of full disclosure. I should add that BR's eyes are just fine and dandy, OBV. He's seeing 20/15 in both eyes, and in true freakish-regenerator fashion they can "barely see" where the flap was made. Whatever. Can I just say that his rampant hypochondria and fretting is made exponentially more annoying by the fact that none of these dreaded complications ever comes to fruition? Yet he just keeps on keepin' on. STABBY STAB GAH.

*We got a note this morning informing us that AD's daycare is now going to be charging $.75 per lunch (and dinner, although that doesn't affect us) due to "rising fuel costs". Hmm. Also, HUH? I don't actually care (that much) about the 75 cents, since what's an extra $15 a month when you're already dropping ONE THOUSAND US DOLLARS for the privilege of drinking your coffee in peace, but why would you not attribute the increase to oh, say, FOOD COSTS? Weird. Also, is it me, or is 99% of the writing that takes place in a childcare setting truly HORRIFYING? I can barely get THROUGH some of the memos we are given without wanting to give myself a giant paper cut across the eye flap in frustration! Says the blogger who uses OBV and GAH as Totally Real Words. Whatev. Ruin the rant, why dontcha.

*The moms at AD's gymnastics class are driving me mental! I took her to a makeup class last night, since she missed her usual Saturday class, and it was a totally different and wholly unacceptable crowd! The Saturday class is usually full of DADS, actually, and most of them are pretty cool, in that they stay far, far away from me and barely make eye contact unless strictly necessary. DIG. But the Monday Moms! They asked me how old AD was, and did she usually do x, y, and z in her regular class, and what DAY in July was her birthday and all of this clearly (clearly!) for Purposes of Comparison only! Jesus. Compare in your HEAD like normal people, will ya? You don't have to make it so OBVIOUS! AND, two of the moms had the balls to complain about the teacher, and how she "just wasn't very good", and "wasn't teaching any advanced skills" and THIS IS A MOTHEREFFING GYMNASTICS "CLASS" FOR MOTHEREFFING TODDLERS! As long as the kids all get to run around and wear themselves out, and no one gets hurt, then I think we should consider that SUCCESS! I don't even care if there IS a teacher! I can talk in an irritating baby voice to my OWN child, THANKS! Ugg. I am beginning to fervently hope that AD only wants to be friends with ORPHANS when she gets older.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son has started playing T-ball. Since I don't give a damn about T-ball because my son is only 5, we picked a nice uncompetitive team with relaxed coaches. Last week-end his team played against a team that brought their own benches and had a catcher in a full professional baseball get up. I don't think I'm going to be able to handle kids sports at this rate.

email said...

HA! You are so ME, but shorter and thinner. :) I also do not want to chat with the other moms, because I SUCK at chatting. How do you END it? Chat, chat, chat... uncomfortable silence. Yeah, just not into it. And WHAT?! ADVANCED skills. These kids aren't yet TWO, right? WTF?

Crystal Gable said...

You are SOOOOOOOOOO funny. Just wait till AD starts real school. All these school functions will try and infringe on your free time and they are CONSTANTLY asking for money for this or that. It actually made me say outloud, "I wish I had homeschooled" and then I was like, "WHAT am I saying?!"

Tilly said...

I think my favorite part was "STABBY STAB GAH." Yeah, that was awesome.

Anonymous said...

This is incredible. Is it sad that one of the main things holding me back from having children is making friends with other mommys? Bah. I like my single friends so much better.

Anonymous said...

OMG, there is a reason I refer to everyone associated with the sprog's school as "stepfords" I don't want to talk to ANY of them EVAH!

I can't wait until I get my quarter sleeve tattoo, then they'll move away from me like the plague and I won't have to try to converse with them.

Banana said...

Ugh. Those moms are LAME. I was involved in theater when I was a kid and my mom has a million stories of horrifying mothers. Just continued proof that other people suck.

Christina Schmidt said...

Oh I so hear you on the memos at DC! I used to be appalled by some of the stuff that was written and sent home with us. Like have you seen SPELL CHECK (says the woman who regularly leaves whole words out of sentences esp when commenting...)

As for the make up class on a week day versus weekend classes it is SO totally true! Eye stabbingly painful. I have had this experience only in reverse. When I was preggo the 1st time around I did water aerobics and the stay at home moms were just a little over the top in comparison to the working moms. A few came to do make up classes at our evening class and I was like 'GOOD LORD go back to the 10:00a time slot cause you're totally stressing me out!' When we had our son in swim class this same thing happened. We had a few moms come to make up missed week day classes and I was appalled at the attitude and the conversations. It was like being in a alternate world!

Saly said...

I'm reasonably sure that this is solid proof that gymnastics moms are bitches. HOW NICE FOR YOU!

The memos from our daycare are horrific as well. Hub thinks this is why none of them have realteaching jobs. My favorite is every time they are waiting for something back--they put a note on the sign in pc that says "summer camp enrollment forms have been dispursed". Um, do you mean disbursed? Dispersed perhaps?

Whatev, I also enjoy my coffee in peace so who am I to complain.

Tess said...

I should add that the gymnastics mom issue is not a SAHM V. WOHM issue, since the class is at night and all the moms work outside the home.

It DOES seem to be a MOM issue, though, and not a DAD issue. Blergh.

Anonymous said...

I love how the people who freak out about things happening never have said things happen to them (maybe they're on to something). Nah, I don't want to give BR any credit. :)

$1000 a month for childcare??? Good lord, now we're definitely NOT having kids.

Erin said...

I HATE the whole comparing mom thing. It drives me batty! Kids are all different, they do things when they are ready and who cares. As adults we should realize this, I mean, what to we do ALL at the same time? I think too many parents (mainly moms) are living through their child, I have an idea, GET A LIFE! Who freakin' cares!!! I haven't had a real issue with it since SD does not have a whole lot of outside of the home activities, but I can't wait to mouth off about it when it happens. BG totally will, it will be hilarious. My SIL is totally one of those moms!!! She brags all of the time about how good of a (Fill in amazing sports talent here) her sons are. Actually, the really sad thing is, she usually only says it about the older one, so she even is comparing in her own family!

Alice said...

haaaaaa oh i am going to suck dealing with moms one day. except i'll just stand around doing the no-talk thing and making everyone else feel weird. AWESOME.

omg, now i'm going to need a re-update about the possibly inflamed eye. you are basically determining whether or not i decide to get the lasah so i MUST KNOW EVERYTHING.

Tess said...

Alice, I keep worrying that people are making their lasah decisions based on my dubious documentation skills, which is why I persist with the hideously boring updates!

I think my outcome is a little WORSE than normal, and BR's is a little BETTER, so I'm trying to disclose the full range.

bananafana said...

BR is proof that magical worry TOTALLY WORKS.
I noticed the saturday gymnastics/dad phenom here and that was the one thing I liked MOST about the class.
On O's daily report card they always write "slept good" which makes me cringe EVERY DAMN DAY. But his teachers actually have to at least be working on getting education degrees so they're at least somewhat smart people apparently . . .

Jess said...

Maybe the fuel costs are due to the higher cost of delivery of the food? Just a thought.

Also, clearly I will suck at the competitive mom thing, because I was totally like, "Aw, those moms have questions! How nice!" and then I saw the rest and realized THEY ARE SNEAKY.

Jessie said...

Raven - Good idea with the tat. That'll keep 'em away.

Also, Tessie, OBV and GAH are TOTALLY Real Words. Who would dare to say otherwise?! Psh.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the daycare memos. They are so atrocious that I cringe every single time. The misspellings! The complete and utter misuse of the English language!! GAH.

My son started playing tee-ball this year, and while this is a fairly non-competitive league (as in, they don't "officially" keep score) some of the parents still get all up in arms and start yelling at the coaches. Come on people, these kids are 5 years old! I really do dread it as he gets older. And I have an infant daughter so now I can dread gymnastics and dance class moms as well. Sweet.

Fannie said...

Stick to outdoor sports. Then find the moms/dads sitting well away from the bleachers. In my vast experience? They're the ones with margaritas.

artemisia said...

Friends with orphans, ha! My best friend wants to marry an orphan so as to avoid sharing holidays with his family. Not a bad pool of folks, I'd say.

Kat said...

In my years of experience with extracurricular activities, I learned early on that it is mostly the moms that do the comparing when they are young but when they get older you get it from both the moms and the dads AND it gets worse. My strategy was to always sit alone and not speak to anyone, thus the reason all the coaches were afraid of me and the moms thought I was a bitch. Didn't hurt my feelings and my boys still had fun...

Anonymous said...

They need to stop with the whining already. The purpose of a toddler gymnastics class is for all of them to take a good nap that day or sleep a little later the next morning becaus they are completely worn out. End of story.

Misty said...

OhMyGod.

When I read that last line. I literally thunked my head against my desk and laughed so so hard. Damn, my abs hurt.

Girl. You are too much. You and Saly with the dreadful GymMOMsters. Lordy.

Kelsey said...

I almost choked when I read the friends with orphans comment!

Kristi said...

I have found that a lot of moms of young kids really need to pull their heads out of their high-school asses! It is just the most awkward experience trying to have a normal conversation when everyone is sizing each other up! Your last line made me snork coffee out of my nose!