Thursday, January 17, 2008

Three Things: Daycare Edition

Three Things:

*Yesterday when I picked up AD from daycare, she was covered head-to-toe in juice. Turns out the teachers had been working with the kids on drinking from "big kid" cups (I guess cups with no lids? I didn't investigate further, I was too horrified). Anyway, the teacher claimed that AD did fine with this, but that other kids had spilled their juice on her (it was like...other kids or something, huh huh), hence the tie-dyed-in-juice effect. I sense this was probably butt-kissy bullshit (I wouldn't know, since I sure as hell haven't tried it), but she DID have juice on her little toddler ASS, so there must have been some kind of Juice Transference going on. This is one reason I like daycare. They feel free to experiment with straight-up CRAZY SHIT like giving a room full of toddlers juice in cups without lids, since they can just hose the place down and head home at the end of the day. I mean, can you imagine? It was BRIGHT ORANGE JUICE. What, they didn't have any of that ingestible radioactive dye available?

*AD's teacher calls all of the kids in her class "friends". Which, fine, when you're talking TO THE KIDS, as in "we don't pour juice on our friends". But, she does it even when she's talking to ME. As in, "well, some of our friends are using the potty and some aren't." Listen, they're not MY friends. Most of my friends are using the potty with some regularity, as far as I know. And I can't speak for AD, but after The Juice Thing I'm guessing she's probably on the fence about these so-called "friends" too.

*When we leave her class each day, AD has taken to frantically waving and yelling something which sounds, I SWEAR, like "BUH BYE Y'ALL!". I am not, unfortunately, making this up. BR and I have been trying to figure it out for WEEKS. What the HELL? WE DON'T CALL OUR FRIENDS Y'ALL! Is it too early to make her copy lines? Uff. It's an arrow right through our Yankee hearts. KIDS! Always trying to have their own cultures and shit! Anyway, I'm totally taking suggestions for what she's REALLY saying (NOT Y'ALL IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU).

43 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

Is there a child name Yule in her class?

Anonymous said...

Face it: Your kid is a native Texan.

Y'all are up the creek.

bananafana said...

I'm not a fan of the "friends" thing. especially when a kid is getting in trouble. I was in O's school the other day when I heard "we don't hit our friends". um - NO SHIT they hit the kids that are pissing them off! am I the only one who thinks that might be confusing?

Kat said...

Ditto Erica's comment - you're screwed!

Jess said...

The second item on this list made me laugh so much that the guy in the cube next to mine actually had to ask me what was so funny.

Does AD have a favorite... ball? Or wall? Or hall? That she loves so much she has to say goodbye to? Otherwise, you guys might be SOL.

Anonymous said...

Maybe she's saying Goodbye You All. No?

Oh come on, buh bye y'all is cute.

Flibberty said...

I'm sure she hears "ba bye y'all" frequently from other parents at day care. But, um, that's totally not what she's saying at all. Obviously she's saying something else entirely. Perhaps something about bubbles or yellow.

Also, I used to work day care, and the amount of bleach that we went through in a week would frighten most people. Every night, we'd hose the joint down with bleach.

LoriD said...

That "friends" thing bugs me too. The kids' kindergarten teacher also refers to herself in the third person, which drives me nuts ("Okay friends, all eyes on Mrs. Teacher")

That buh bye y'all is adorable. Sorry.

Whimsy said...

While **this** friend is most definitely using the potty regularly, I do occasionally suffer from juice transference. Luckily I haven't gotten any on my hind region in a while. But now that I've said that, I'm sure to have an Episode in the near future.

Anonymous said...

Weeeeell......she was BORN in Texas, Tessie.....

I TOTALLY think she's saying "Y'All" and I LOVE IT! hehehehehehe

Guess she's not going to follow the "you guys" saying of her mother. Too many syllables anyhow. ;-)

LA and BD said...

Sounds like it's time to change your by-line to "Two Yankees and a Texas Toddler."

Stephanie said...

You make me laugh. I can't believe they let the kids roam free with lidless cups. And then send children home soaking wet. HAHA!

Lord, I am SO not ready to have children.

Tess said...

Damn all you Dixie Sympathizers! BAH! If the South DOES rise again, I'm blaming all of YOU.

email said...

Guess now Texas is messin' with Tessie. :) She's going to say "y'all" - you live in Texas, so there's no getting around it. I've got a similar problem: I'm a southerner raising four kids who probably AREN'T going to say "y'all." Instead they're picking up that HORRIBLE AWFUL GRATE-ON-MY-LAST-NERVE nasally short-a sound that Philadelphians have. I make them repeat the word over and over until they pronounce it without that awful sound.

artemisia said...

Oh, I'd be writhing in agony if I thought my kid was picking up anything from TEXAS.

She must be saying something - anything - else, right? RIGHT?

Erin said...

You made me laugh outloud, with the potty comment. Tess, face reality, she is in daycare with a bunch of mini-texans, she is going to say Y'all! You must embrace it head on :) I asked SD what she was doing the other morning and she replied in her sweetest voice "What are YOU doing Mommy!" She is a total Parrot these days and I assume AD is the same. KIDS!

Saly said...

One of ED's teachers used to be like "come on friends....let's go to the playground...." I really just wanted to belt her one.

And I feel like if they covered her in juice, they are also responsible for cleaning her up, which includes laundering the clothes.

Maybe she's made up a new song, called the bye bye yell...

Sing it with me! Bye Bye Yell! Bye Bye Yell!

SLynnRo said...

You are hilarious.

You know what bugs me? When people refer to their parents as Mom and Dad to me, like "Mom says...." or, "I was talking to Dad and...."

NO! MY MOM AND MY DAD. Your parents are not my parents. Even if my parents suck, this is not cool.

Ami said...

Buh Bye Now? Sorry, that's all I've got.

Sarah said...

Oh this is so hilarious! I would feel your pain big time, if it were happening to ME, but as it is happening to YOU (the juice, the ya'll parroting) I will simply have myself a hearty BWAH HA HA!
Seriously, though. I feel bad for you! And I think the JUICE thing is the real sob story here! WHO DOES THAT?? Isn't AD, like, not even two? Addy is nearing two and a half and I still ONLY give her water if she wants a cup without a lid. And only fill it halfway. Sounds like the daycare workers thought it would be hi-freakin'-larious to let OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS engage in clearly not yet age appropriate behavior.

Tess said...

slynnro: ME TOO on that one. In fact, I'm so militant about it that sometimes I even say "MY MOM or MY DAD did x" when I'm talking to my sister, and she'll be all, "Oh, YOUR MOM and YOUR DAD, huh?"

Ami-That is my favorite answer so far. Kind of reminds me of that "BUH BYE" flight attendant sketch from SNL. Pretty sure she hasn't seen that episode, but still. FUNNY.

mamashine said...

Your daycare posts are my absolute favorite. I always wonder if the parents of my kids say this kind of stuff about me. I bet so. See, I almost said "my parents", and I DO call them "the friends", although not MY friends.

I do that because I'm trying to make my daughter like them- honey, the friends are coming today! rather than, yeah, it sucks, but that kid who pours juice on you is coming today.

I only let one kid at a time practice with no lid, and it's milk or water. I never serve juice ever just because of the stain factor.

And she's totally saying y'all. We moved to New Jersey when I was three and my mom went through the same pain you are, but in reverse. I grew up sounding like a Yankee. It took me ten years of living here to sound halfway Texan, and I probably still wouldn't if my parents didn't already. :)

Saly said...

Ha, Tessie, when I am talking about MY parents to my brothers, i will say YOUR mother or YOUR father.

G said...

My vote is "bye bye yell." It's more of a descriptive than an actual exclamation...

This California girl fears the same thing will happen to her kids - but so far so good.

Shelly said...

God, tessie, the potty comment just killed me.

And we had nearly the same thing with Supergirl when she was learning to talk. She was spending a lot of time with my husband's parents, who are from Ohio and picked up saying "warsh" instead of "wash". I just about went crazy trying to teach her to say it correctly. So - can be corrected; takes *lots* of effort.

Anonymous said...

Who teaches big kid cups with JUICE?!?

Also, y'all and "our friends" speak has got to go. I agree. Although, you do live in TX - is there really any way to escape it?

Sarah said...

P.S. Not to be a militant non sugar person or anything, because I am totally NOT, but was this actual JUICE they were serving, which was BRIGHT ORANGE, or was it some kind of fruit punch and red dye cocktail? Because hey, if I were paying for daycare, I would want 100% juice all the way!

MaryB said...

Well, friends, I'd like to leave a comment, but I'm laughing too hard at all of y'all and your hilarity.

MaryB said...

Tessie - don't feel alone. My youngest asked someone last week, "Do y'all lib in Foat Wuth?"

Although I'd like to blame this on his delayed speech, the honest truth is that he says Foat Wuth because he's lived here since before he learned to talk....

Tess said...

DH-I don't know. Supposedly, they serve diluted juice, but not sure if they are using the strictest definition of "juice". I mean, IT WAS PRETTY ORANGE.

MaryB said...

Oh, wait - I figured it out - she's going all gangsta princess on you and is saying, "Buh- bye. Yo!"

Anonymous said...

Tang perhaps?!? The ya'll is so cute...yet so tragic.

Emily said...

Yankee or no, I'm glad you can spell Y'all. I hate when people spell it Ya'll--do they not understand how apostrophes work? (Clearly I let the really important things bother me)

Y'all is hard to break. My sister moved from Texas to Ohio about ten years ago and still says it. Now it's kind of "y'all guys" but, she hasn't dropped it.

Tess said...

Slim-OR, maybe it was TANG SHIT. Heh.

Jennifer said...

Okay. This post made me feel about 1000% better about our move away from Alabama and the word ya'll.

Jennifer said...

Okay. This post made me feel about 1000% better about our move away from Alabama and the word ya'll.

Someone Being Me said...

Y'all is contagious. It can't be helped.

Farrell said...

too freakin' funny.

Anonymous said...

Three Things: Comment Edition

1) I love that, too, about daycares and preschools. They are FEARLESS about stuff like fingerpaint. I can just LEAVE THAT TO THEM.

2) Ha ha! I did that, too. With the INFANTS in my class. It's contagious.

3) She might be saying "school" and pronouncing it "yoll." That wouldn't be a weird substitution, depending on how well she pronounces other things.

Laura said...

I am not fond of anyone who says "we" when what they really are meaning is "they". It drives me crazy. What could she be saying???? "Bye friends. I'm off in muh cah, to a place where all the cups have lids, so that I can change clothes..." Yep, that's what I think she said. Kids, these days. They speak so fast we can hardly understand what we are saying.

Anonymous said...

Well, you ARE in Texas...where I guess they say y'all regularly? I mean, maybe the teacher says it.

the new girl said...

I just found your blog and this post made me laugh, laugh, laugh.

Straight up crazy shit, for real.

Funny stuff.

Black Sheeped said...

Y'all is not as bad as y'ons, which is what I grew up around. I assume it means "you ones," and it is used almost the same way as y'all. Not at the end of a sentence "Bye, y'ons" wouldn't work, but people did say, "What are y'ons up to?" Etc. Pronounced yuhns.

Y'all is way more acceptable, in my mind.