Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Office Space

If you are an accountant, I would like to warn you against the use of the phrase "Close enough for government work!" when speaking to your colleagues. Don't know what I was thinking there. Particularly since I don't even WORK in government. Also, "close enough" is not really a concept that your average fussypants accountant really GETS, as a general rule. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is as funny and awesome as you guys. SIGH.

I need some office-related inspiration today. What do you have for me? I'll start:

  • This is far from fresh, but I still love Demotivators. My favorite: MEETINGS: None of us is as dumb as all of us. It's funny because it's TRUE.

  • If you are a fan of The Office, I hope you read Dwight's blog, "Schrute-Space". Here's an excerpt from the first entry of the new fall season:

Hello internetizens. I have returned from my web logging hiatus. You may be asking yourself, “what happened to Dwight all summer?” Shut up. It’s none of your business. Just focus on the present.

Now come on. That is funny.

  • Finally, I give you the Office Linebacker. THAT'S A LONG DISTANCE CALL, DOUG!

At the tone, please leave your comment. If you need immediate assistance, please dial 0 for the receptionist since I don't answer any of my switchboard calls anyway.

BEEP.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the office linebacker! Especially the TPS reports reference.

That demotivator site is funny, I must be out of it, because I have never heard of it.

did you see this on the nbc Office page - hilarious!

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/justforfun/posters/

Tess said...

C-Must.resist.urge. to plaster those all over my walls. I'm getting BR the Stanley poster: CALMNESS: the path to avoiding antidepressants. HA!

The TPS part is my favorite too. THAT'S NOTHING NEW, BABY!

Anonymous said...

I have the Stupidity demotivator in my office "Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots."

Also, I tried subscribing to the Pam Beasly blog, and it is blocked by my firewall. Bah!

MaryB said...

Thanks for the laugh! I am calling Reebok immeadiately to get a linebacker for my house. I will no longer have to be the nagging bitch in the house. I think Science Fair and History Fair deadlines will be met in a very timely manner given this new motivation. In case Reebok cannot spare a linebacker for my home use, I am stealing the phrase,
"You wanna play games? Well, when it's game time, it's pain time!" I think homework hell around here will be much more expedient from now on!

Anonymous said...

This isn't really related, but the keywords are there and this makes me do a spit-take every time I see it: Captain Kirk Inspirational Poster

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read any of the Herbert Kornfeld articles on the Onion? He's the guy Michael Bolton was based on in Office Space. That's some good shit there.

Nowheymama said...

Yeah. I was the person who posted an article about cubicle etiquette on our break room fridge with important passages highlighted. I thought it was funny.

Man, did I piss a lot of people off.

Banana said...

I love the office. I worked with a guy that was absolutely Michael Scott minus ten years. Shivers just thinking about him.

mom of the year said...

The Onion always did it for me. That, and during boring days, my co-workers and I would take turns e-mailing internet pics of things we could use for office torture (a cool pair of scissors, fancy hole-punchers, do I add paper shredders???). Not that this sort of lunacy (sadism) surprises you coming from me...

Anonymous said...

My favorite Demotivation is "Despair: It's always darkest right before it goes pitch black."

artemisia said...

The Onion and The Office get me through to Friday. Every week.

The scene with the printer in Office Space takes on all new meaning with the crap printer I deal with now.

Too funny!

Anonymous said...

SOME people think that the highest form of humor is "kicked in the nuts" shots. I myself have always preferred the subtle wit of the flying tackle.

email said...

I LOVE the demotivators. Apathy and Consulting are my favorites. I like the T-shirts on their site, too.

el-e-e said...

This is my favorite workplace-related humor at the moment. "Jerome, you'll talk a big game, then do nothing."

LET'S DO IT.

Shelly said...

Love the demotivator site!