Monday, July 30, 2007

A Meme-Dealie

So, JMC has tagged me for one of those meme thingees (fun fact: until recently, I thought "meme" was pronounced "may-may"-you know, like "bebe". Um, it's not. Oops. I still kind of want it to be, though).

ANYHOO, the subject of the meme is 5 Reasons I Blog. I feel a little weird going on about this when I am rocking what, like, WEEK THREE of blogging? I guess I can frame it in terms of the reasons I started blogging, and continue to persevere well into WEEK THREE.

1) I am a reforming pathological lurker. Many of my friends have blogs, and I have been reading blogs for years. Seriously, do you have a blog that is in any way funny or interesting or covers the topics of TV, books, pop culture, and/or motherhood? I read it. BUT, I never left comments because I thought it was considered vaguely creepy to get a comment from someone who didn't have a website link the author could visit. In fact, when I did start to venture out with the occasional comment, I would often email the blogger to let her I know I enjoyed her site, and also that I was a REAL LIVE PERSON and not some creepy troll. So, reason 1 basically boils down to: makes it easier and less creepy to comment on the blogs I read.

2) I am a terrible correspondant. Basically, I suck at keeping up with people. I cannot stand talking on the phone (one of the reasons BR and I went to cell phones instead of a home phone is so that I would never have to answer a call that wasn't for me-and those of you who know me know I don't even answer those most of the time). So isn't it awesome, then, that I live over 1000 miles from my family and many of my friends? Blogging is one way for them to check in with me. If only everyone I knew had blogs, I would never have to talk to anyone ever again!

3) I'm also a sucky memory-keeper. I don't scrapbook or journal or any of that other happy crap. Basically, I'm lazy, OK? This is a way to have a written record of AD's growth and of my thoughts that doesn't feel like a total beatdown to me.

4) Unlike JMC, my brain-to-mouth censor guy is OVERactive. I would say that about 75% of my thoughts never come out of my mouth. Blogging is a way to let a few more out there.

5) Finally, writing this blog is totally different from my daily work as a CPA. It's fun and a nice break. I'm not one of those bloggers who considers herself a writer at heart. I write pretty much like I talk, which is to say, not all that well. I have my moments, but as they say on The Office, "you are an accountant so I know you can't deal with people". That pretty much sums it up for me.

Damn, this is LONG. Maybe I am a writer at heart! Who would like to publish my recipes and lamely captioned photos of my kid?

I will tag (on a purely optional basis, of course):
Erin and
Loni and
Lori

3 comments:

LoriD said...

Cool! Thanks for the tag, although my answers are going to be strangely similar to yours. Except I'm not an accountant. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sara said...

hmmm, and I thought it was pronounced Memm, like Memo without the "o".

May May is much better. :)

email said...

Great reasons! As a general rule, I don't like to talk on the phone to people either. :) There are only about 5 people in the world that I'll stay on with longer than about a minute.