So, many of you have asked me to talk about some of my favorite TV shows.* Well, OK.
First, as a visual display of the depths of my love for TV, a list of the shows for which I have a DVR "season pass":
- The Office (the best show on tv and if you are not watching the terrorists are winning)
- American Idol (unamerican not to watch)
- Survivor (why am I not done with this show yet?)
- Lost (like confusing CRACK)
- Grey's Anatomy (a total downer this season, yet I cannot look away)
- Heroes (WHEN am I going to wake up with the "stop time" superpower?)
- The Deadliest Catch (I want to be a crab fisherman!)
- Brothers & Sisters (I want to have 4 brothers and sisters!)
- Ugly Betty (got sucked in during a New Years marathon)
- Prison Break (Wentworth Miller is my prison boyfriend! Call me Wentworth, I will totally send you money for cigarettes!)
- Last Comic Standing (we've already documented my weird standup comedy issue)
- So You Think You Can Dance (if only I had kept my ability to do the splits! I could have taken it all!)
- Hell's Kitchen (I know, I am a total donkey for getting into this one)
- Good Eats (LOVE.IT.)
- Jon and Kate Plus 8 (have you seen this on TLC? These jokers have twins and sextuplets, the mom is a total OCD control freak, and the parents hate each other. It is AWESOME)
OK, do I seem like Jim Carrey from "The Cable Guy" yet? And this doesn't even include the crap BR makes me watch (fucking SPORTSCENTER, I'm looking at you), or the stuff we don't record, but watch on a semi-regular basis anyway (The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, stand-up comedy).
Each fall, there is a complex audition process by which we decide what shows, if any, will be added to the roster. At the beginning of the season, we agree on a number of shows that, based on promos and internet research and trusted TV-obsessed friends (Carla), have earned a 2-3 episode "trial". After that we typically make a decision whether to add or drop. If you're thinking to yourself, "doesn't seem like it takes much to tip the scales to ADD", I would like to invite you to SHUT IT. RESPECT THE PROCESS!
So whatever you do, DO NOT tell me about any awesome shows you are watching, because dude, WE ARE FULL UP! I CANNOT ADD THEM! (I will totally add them).
*This is a lie.

17 comments:
I laughed out loud at your blurb about john and kate... that is so true, even my husband sees it.
We have 2 DVR's... one for my stuff and one for his. Mine is filled with intellectually stimulating shows like Dexter, Big Love, Flip that House and I Shouldn't be Alive. His is filled with crap like Inside Hitler's Brain, Flying Aces of WWII and other boring documentaries.
Lori-I'm all for separate DVRs in theory, but we usually try to watch shows together, as sort of something we enjoy doing as a couple ("It's social...demented and sad, but social".../Breakfast Club).
We definitely do separate bathrooms though. That I highly recommend.
You are killing me smalls! I love Hell's Kitchen, my husband got me on that one! I started watching Dancing with the Stars, but fell off the wagon. Did I tell you that we have DVRs now? Aren't you proud? I still don't watch a ton of TV though, I have other things to do, like be OCD and clean my floors repetitively!
Oops, I meant, So you think you can dance.
E-Yeah, if there's one thing that impedes a good tv addiction, it's OCD and the desire to have clean floors. I AM proud of you for the DVRs. They are like cell phones, once you have one you can't imagine how you lived without it.
HOW could you crap out on SYTYCD? That show is GREATNESS!
Must..stop...laughing...so I can comment.
LOVE "This is a lie."
Also, have you already watched Sports Night, the canceled series? (In fact, perhaps you are the one who recommended it. I am too lazy to go back and check.) It took me a few episodes to get into it, but then I was In Love. Laughing! Crying! Loving!
Swistle-I HAVE NOT watched Sports Night, although I have wanted to ever since you recommended it. I don't know why, I feel like I'm saving it for some special occasion, like when I have a bottle of wine and a weekend to myself, which we all know will happen on the 12th of NEVER.
I think I recommended Arrested Development, which I still totally stand by.
Are you excited for the 1.18.08 movie by LOST's JJ Abrams? I sooo am because it means that I'll actually get an answer after watching something for two hours. But I will still watch LOST because I am addicted to things that play with my emotions.
And I love Last Comic Standing, or any comic standing, really.
Mona-I have been TOTALLY sucked into the hype for that movie (can you tell I am easily...sucked? Wait.) Lost has me by the short-hairs too. Every week I am like OK, this week wasn't that great, but NEXT WEEK LOOKS SO GOOD. Repeat the next week, etc.
BR and I are total stand-up freaks. We have vehemently disagreed with some of the people who have gone through on this season of LCS, though. As proof that I will never be a stand-up comedian, my two favorite jokes so far this year were "inside-out cat" and the guy whose pet cobra bit him and he was like "ouch...NO!" Yeah, I don't know either but that shit still cracks me up.
Hey! I saw your post on Swistle's site. My cousin in law works in daycare and I happened to be on the phone with her when I read it. They must check diapers an hour after entry and change when wet. If dry, they check every half hour thereafter for the under 1 set. Every hour for under 2's.
Thanks for the shoutout!!! I totally loved this post! I am SO completely with you about Lost (it is crack) and Survivor - every season I say I am not going to watch and every sesason I do. Cmon though, Sportscenter ROCKS!!!
Erin - congrats on the DVR!!!
Thanks Mrs.Grumpy! I suspected as much :-)
omg, I love love love tv. John and Kate plus 8...yeah they do hate each other. And Alton Brown is my boyfriend. And I LOVE the office!!! We have so much crap on our TIVO that it's ridiculous. But there is never a programming shortage.
I've been watching Scott Baio is 45 and single....it's so sad but addicting.
I actually came over because of your note at Swistle's--I know! why the frick do they have to change they baby's diaper every 2 hours??? Sheesh!
I thought the inside-out cat guy was ROBBED.
I love Jon and Kate plus 8. there is no way I could ever be married to that crazy woman. She's mean. And it's funny how they hate each other! Great show.
And duh, Good Eats. Yeah, that again.
And *this is a lie...so damn funny.
Yeah love John and Kate but when the hell is on? We caught of bunch of them that were on one night and have not been able to find it since.
Although...I think I would hate my spouse too if I had 8 kids under the age of three!!! ACK!
Post a Comment