So, like nearly every other woman and gay man between the ages of 25 and 55, I saw Sex and The City this weekend.I've read some mixed reviews of the movie, and I GUESS I understand the bad ones (NO, I DON'T), but I have to say that if you were a fan of the show, then...well, I can't imagine a scenario in which you won't love it.
Of course, the way to get the full experience is clearly to see the movie with 1 (one) BFF and 1 (one) hot gay guy at a THEATER THAT SERVES ALCOHOL. That's right. Total dream team, there. You should have seen the bartenders, you guys. It was the worst weekend of their LIVES, and you could see it written all over their faces. I'm sure if they never see another cosmopolitan again it'll be too soon.
Anyway, half of the fun of the movie was the experience of seeing it in a roomful of women who were just WAITING to love it. Everyone was dressed up, and drinking, and some people were wearing feather BOAS for chrissakes, and when the themesong started up we all CHEERED and raised our drinks and whistled as they showed the hot guys and man, it was awesome.
Because anyone who watched the show knows that it was about neither Sex nor The City. It was about friends. Without giving away any (PLOT) spoilers, I'll tell you that my favorite part of the movie is when Miranda calls Carrie "just to talk", and Carrie decides to go over to her apartment, and when Miranda opens the door Carrie just says, "You're not alone."
Man, if I was in the habit of crying, like EVER, I would have shed a tear at that part (poor non-emotionally-crippled Darla went through like 5 Kleenex). The very worst part of being in your early 20s, the age we were when we watched the show, is the constant knowledge that you are making The Big Decisions at a time when you don't know SHIT about SHIT. And every breakup, and every rejection, and every bad decision, feels like one more step towards Being Alone. And your parents don't understand you, and neither do the Smug Marrieds a few years older, and you can feel alone in a CROWDED FUCKING ROOM.
But you're not. You never were. It's such a fucking waste you couldn't see it at the time.
So, yeah. You should see the movie. Preferably with drinks.
And to Darla, and all of YOU, my Internet friends: You're not alone. Not as long as I'm around. Lord knows I would never say it to your face.

46 comments:
AR was here, and left, alone.
You nailed it. I saw it in a roomfull of drinking women too and I agree it was the BEST (I would have joined them if not for the whole pregnancy thing). And the servers did seem quite frazzled and miserable. "You're not alone"? Killed me too. It was better than my best expectations.
*sigh* If only you had seen the movie with 1 BFF, 1 Hot Gay Guy and 1 Internet Friend.
It was a great movie, wasn't it? I'm still thinking about it days later.
AHHHH OK i need to see it.
Aww, Tessie, you softie. You made me cry. You're not alone either, not as long as I'm around.
Yup I will say it... I never got into this show. SJP drives me batty with her horsey face and the characters did nothing for me and I just was not into it. I was invited to see the movie and actually SKIPPED having a girl's night because I had ZERO desire to see it.
Sorry, I know, I know I am the ONE woman in the whole of the United States who did not like the show and had no desire to see the movie.
Completely unrelated to Sex in the City! I thought it would make you happy to know that I thought of you this weekend. I saw Phil Harris from The Deadliest Catch at the Seattle Mariners game on Saturday. I thought of having him sign my boobs to send you a photo, but my husband was right there....
Oh! I so miss going to see movies with my best guy friend from college. We'd go out for Mexican and margaritas, leave our car in the restaurant parking lot, and then stumble over to the movie theater. It was the closest we could come to drinking at the movies in Tiny Tennessee Town.
Lizzie! You should have asked him if he has any openings on the boat! FOR ME!
OMG so awesome.
I can't WAIT to see this movie. Tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed for tonight.
I am alone. (Because I have never seen a single episode of this show.)
Sounds like a fun time, though! Poor bartenders.
I TOTALLY AGREE. i told my parents i was going on sunday, and they're like "uh, you know it got PANNED by critics, right....?" and i got nervous it really was going to be be bad... but WHO THE HELL ARE THESE CRITICS, is what i want to know, because CLEARLY they never watched slashed enjoyed the tv series if they panned the movie.
completely, completely perfect.
So, who will go see it with me???? I am at a loss for any BFF or gay guy to accompany me...EECK!!! Does this mean I AM alone????
Oh, God, Im such a Debbie Downer...I will recover. I will make someone go to see it with me and feel better soon. Maybe Ill see it at the beach with BFF and sis-in-law.
Awww! "Emotional Cripple" takes baby steps...
:)
I am waiting to see it JUST SO I can go with a group of chicas.
I didn't watch the show, so I don't plan to see the movie. I am glad you liked it though!
And you are so sweet with your message to your friends at the end of this post. I never say stuff like that to my friends either, but I hope they know it without me saying it.
I saw it last night with some gays, and I agree. I don't see how people are reviewing this poorly. It was great, and really funny. One of the gays didn't even like the show and he liked it. We also had a weepy girl (not me) with us who cried. If I were so inclined to cry, I can see doing that. I think my favorite part of the movie is when Charlotte just yells "NO!" at Big. You know when. It was so protective and sweet.
But I have to say, I hate when people cheer during movies. Drives me insane!
Delurking to say...haven't seen the movie yet, but you don't know how badly I needed this post right now. Thank you, Tessie.
slynnro, that was practically a TIE for my favorite part. Loved it. I think we've all had a moment where we would like to KILL THAT SON A BITCH, on someone else's behalf. Anyway.
Normally, I can't stand the cheering either, but in this context...I don't know. It was fun.
WOOOAAAAHHHH!!!!
You are scaring me with your non-emotional cripple message! ;-) I sit here at work in shock!
Its okay Tess....as you WELL KNOW i'm becoming more mushy when it comes time to you, Darla, Erin & Celeste the older I get as well.
xxxxxx
The other great friend moment - Charlotte's "NOOOOOO!!!!". That and the "you aren't alone" both really stuck with me.
You summed up what the show meant PERFECTLY.
And Tess, right back at you. :-)
Ooh, yeah, Maryb - save it for me. (I'm going to have a lot of movie dates at the beach, apparently. Wall-E comes out that week, too.)
...sorry to hijack, Tessie, making plans for 3 weeks from now, but for this movie it's probably THAT important. Hee. Pour me a cosmo!
I love this post. And I can't WAIT to see the movie.
Yes.. Black dress. Charlotte...
protecting her freind;
my fav.
I am weeping right now dammit! PASS ME SOME OF THAT EMOTIONaL CRIPPLE TESSIE! Jesus H!
I also bloggged a similar blog...
friends.. that's what it's about.
Your blog... takes the cake most days sista.
d
That was maybe the best last line of any post, ever.
HA!
Can't WAIT to see the movie, too.
Love it Tessie! I'm with pickles n dimes in the sad corner of never saw the show crowd, but that's why we do netflix people. Hubbie can watch his Lincoln epics (i know. and no i don't know.) and I can catch up on pop culture. Great post! Some of that southern sweetness is breaking through. ;)
Oh... that music ROCKS!
I once had to present at a conference in Vegas - I had to speak to more than a thousand people.
I had a real makeup artist and shit, because they projected my face on these huge TV screens.
And I got to pick THEME MUSIC to walk out to. I was going to pick Big Pimpin by Jay-Z, but one of the guys I was presenting with wanted that one, so I picked the Sex And the City theme...
I felt like I could kick the ass of the world, walking out to that music.
I hope to someday see the movie, however, with babysitters in my area costing $15 per hour, I'll probably have to wait for Netflix.
Oh... that music ROCKS!
I once had to present at a conference in Vegas - I had to speak to more than a thousand people.
I had a real makeup artist and shit, because they projected my face on these huge TV screens.
And I got to pick THEME MUSIC to walk out to. I was going to pick Big Pimpin by Jay-Z, but one of the guys I was presenting with wanted that one, so I picked the Sex And the City theme...
I felt like I could kick the ass of the world, walking out to that music.
I hope to someday see the movie, however, with babysitters in my area costing $15 per hour, I'll probably have to wait for Netflix.
Ooooh! I wanted to see this movie on Friday. But since I just moved here I don't have girlfriends here yet, so I didn't go. Because it seems pointless to go without the girls, doesn't it?
Oh, man, I can't wait.
Haven't seen the film yet, but SJP does need to have that nasty mole/wart removed from her chin. Julio did. We need her to cross over damn it!
Otherwise, I might be persuaded to see the movie, but my one gay bestfriend is so busy. (and he's not sure about the gay thing)
I am dying to see this movie but couldn't find anyone to go with this weekend - being the mother of 3 males (well 4 with Hubby) NONE of them understood my NEED to see this movie! I was a little afraid since the reviews are so horrible but I'm glad I listened to you not them and I may just go all by myself!
BTW, I loved this entry too!
Went to see it last night with a whole bunch of moms and it was awesome. Even without alcohol! Everyone was cheering and gasping and reacting to every moment. SO FUN.
Hubby and I are going this weekend. We met on the internet and he reminded me this past weekend that one of the "getting to know you" questions I asked him was that if he could date on of the girls on that show who would it be...he replied Charlotte.
Since, then we enjoyed watching the show together. I am sure he will be one of a very few straight men there but he doesn't care.
Oh, man. The part where Charlotte yells "no" at Big...I cried. She was so fierce and protective.
I was with my college friends; during our senior year we'd rented and/or bootlegged copies of the first five seasons and watched them all just so we could watch the last season together. It was so great to get my girls together again, get some drinks, and watch the movie. And it was a nice reminder that despite the very different lives we lead now, we're not alone.
Damn, I need to find a theater that serves liquor! Even without it, I loved the movie!
There are theaters that let you DRINK? Another reason why small towns bite. Mine doesn't even serve good CANDY.
I can't wait to see this movie. If it brought out the soft side of TESSIE, I'd best be bringing my hankie along.
Okay, I scoured the internet for one other person who noted that scene and you were it.
Here is why I liked it. I watched SATC and enjoyed it, but almost in spite of Carrie. I thought she routinely behaved like a shit friend. She never seemed fully engaged in her friends' various problems and, more often than not, used them as a segue to talk about herself.
When that scene was playing in the movie - when Miranda called and Carrie was asleep, I was certain she would end the call with "okay, sleep well, I will talk to you tomorrow." That is what series Carrie would have done - no question. When she got up out of bed and fucking rallied? I realized that I finally liked Carrie. She finally behaved like a friend.
Anyway, found your blog today in the most random manner and am hooked. I went to UT and have a love/hate thing with Texas (if you move, seriously, you will miss the TexMex in a way from which you will never fully recover), but I am mostly taken by your fantastic writing.
I completely lu-huved that movie--I can't wait for it to come out on DVD, so I can enjoy it a few more time. With cosmos, it would have been fabulous. We're not that snazzy here in BFE, Louisiana.
Awww. *sniff, sniff*
Is this the wrong time to admit I never watched that show?
But don't worry! You may have just convinced me to queue it up in my netflix.
Aww, that post was so SWEET!
I went to see a different movie on Friday night and all the SATC-viewers were crowding the damn lobby with their Cosmos and stilettos and, quite frankly, kind of pissing me off. However, I'm planning on seeing it this weekend with a girlfriend and I can't wait!
You have a movie theater with a BAR?? Seriously? Damn. Now if I ever move, I will have to consider Texas.
Note how I'm not touching your last paragraph with a 10-foot pole? Yeah, well... ahem... you know.
That post was so funny and so awesome, now I'm going to have to rent all the SATC discs from Netflix so I can also see the movie. Worst weekend of their lives! Just waiting to love it! NO I DON'T. Non-emotionally-crippled.
can't wait to see the movie. and thanks for this post. i needed that.
Oh thank goodness. I wrote about the movie on my blog and someone I really admire wrote a comment "you liked it? Me, not so much". It made me second guess myself and I felt like a loser for liking it...but like you said-- if you liked the show, what's not to like? It was great. Were there some flaws? Yes, but overall it was just really enjoyable.
OK...as a gay guy who was at the movie with you, I have to ask....where the HELL was the hot gay guy and why didn't you introduce him to me??? ;-)
Seriously...thanks for the compliment...I had a great time seeing the movie with you and Darla!
Post a Comment