I actually think my 5-year-old NEPHEW took this picture, which is utterly humiliating since I've been trying to get something similar for AGES. SHAME SPIRAL.
Speaking of 5-year-old-nephews, here's mine now! Aren't they the cutest little supahfans you ever saw? Yes, that's a tent. Sitting on our patio. Do you know how the manufacturer suggests that you anchor that thing? With SAND. They want you to fill the side pockets with enough SAND to hold it down. REALLY, children's tent manufacturer? That's the first thing that came to mind? Way to hear hoof beats and think ZEBRA.
But really, the big news at Hellbeast, Inc. is the Big Girl Bed. WHY would we do this? The answer is that *I* would NOT do this. AD could have slept in her crib until she was old and gray for all I care. Lord knows she will probably be short enough. She could have mounted a 20-inch plasma on the footboard and been set for life. But BR gets these wild hairs about shit like this, and believe me when I say it's not worth trying to talk him out of it. Especially if there's a "project" with drills and schematics and such involved. Anyway, we had one of those convertible cribs, and apparently every time BR walked by that thing it whispered in his ear, "DISASSEMBLE MEEE. It'll be FUUN and will require a trip to Home Deeepot!".
(Incidentally, it was an Ikea crib, which I totally recommend if you are short. They are much, much shorter and lower to the ground than any crib I saw anywhere else. Most of the cribs I looked at would have required an elaborate pulley system and/or a 2 foot free fall in order for someone my size to lower a baby into them).
So that happened. BR did end up putting a little rail on the side, since the first night she rolled right off the thing and onto the floor, where she promptly curled up with her butt in the air and went back to sleep. "No harm, no foul", I said, but BR was all HORRIFIED and shit. What a wuss.
Anyway, this is actually working out BETTER than the crib thing. You may have already guessed that AD is not the brand of kid who stays in a bed as if it is protected by an invisible forcefield. As soon as she's up, she leaps over that rail like she's a perp on an episode of COPS. Which SOUNDS like it would suck, but secretly DOESN'T, because now she comes to US, happy and fully awake, instead of us having to haul our happy asses into HER room and deal with her shrieks of incarcerated rage. Total lazy parenting win-win.
Plus, toddler bedding. Seriously. I'm thinking of scoring MYSELF one of those Dora pillows.

39 comments:
That is so cute! And yeah, your nephew's picture rocks! Career in photography for that one.
Is that SERIOUSLY a Boston Red Sox blanket on your baby GIRL'S bed? I am hoping that this wes BR's doing and you are going to go get some cute little girly looking set like yesterday!
Kiddie bedding is CUTE. I am seriously tempted to order a set of purple polka-dot kiddie sheets I saw awhile back.
Your kid is cute, too. FYI. In case you didn't know.
I love that BR painted the room all those girly colors but then gave her a Boston Red Sox blanket. Heh.
Unlike Kat, I am against getting a girly-looking set. I think it is cute. And funny.
PS We only own 3 baby items, and one is a newborn-sized Vikings outfit. I am sure the Twins outfit will be next.
PPS She is a very cute little Hellbeast.
Yeah, that Red Sox blanket was a gift from BR's sister (she MADE it), and also it's the most awesome blanket EVER. It's SO SOFT. And the perfect size for a toddler bed.
She does have girly sheets under that, though.
Yes, I agree...she's ADORABLE.
Great picture your nephew took. And I've got to take my hat off to the bravery you have putting her in a big girl bed before she's two. (She isn't quite 2 yet, is she?) If I had put ANY of mine in a bed they could get out of themselves before age 3, they would
A) NEVER go to sleep, but instead would drive me totally bonkers until approximately 4AM
B) Be up before us and rather than come to our room to get us, would ransack the entire house leading us to believe that we had been burglarized while we slept
Your kid is totally adorable. And nice Cops reference. I've recently become obsessed with that show.
It's totally going to be EMBARRASSING x1000 if we ever meet in person because you make me SNORT with laughter. SNORT. That is totally not cute.
Go Twins!
OH MY GOD she is adorable!!
We have been talking about the toddler bed thing for a while ourselves, but it sounds so SCARY and big girl and stuff. Yours looks pretty snazzy though. Congrats on a milestone!
That little Twins photos is A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.
Go, Twins!
Yeah, E. is staying in his crib till he's at least three. I heart crib tents.
We've been tossing around the idea of putting Maggie in a big girl bed. The thing is, she's totally content in the crib, doesn't try to climb out and doesn't scream for us in the morning, just waits patiently. However, I saw a very cute mini-loft bed in Ikea that I love, so I kinda have the urge to change the nursery into a big girl room.
That COPS reference slayed me. As did the thought of the crib whispering to BR.
Those pictures are all SO CUTE! It totally looks like she's saying "CHEEEEEEESE" in the first one. And of course I loved the Twins one!
She really looks like you, I think.
AD is WICKED CUTE!
Hintfromreallyoldparent(49): Tents and young'uns will spell TROUBLE in about a year or two. Specially with a nephew! HA! BR will crap!
Toddler bed is cool though, she can stay in that until highschool, mount the plasma flat screen on the wall.
I LOVE all the pictures.
And, I can totally see BR in his element getting to do more projects, even if it is ONLY getting to put together a big girl bed and not moving entire walls and shit around in your house. Can I borrow him when I move back to America?
sadly, i'd be the one itching to convert the bed in this scenario, because WOO! BUST OUT THE DRILL! hey, i think i need a laser level for this!
GOD i just want to snorfle her cheeks. NOM. uh, sorry if that's inappropriate.
OMG the CUTENESS!!
I agree with the rest of commenting world - your daughter, she is totally adorably cute with those little rosy cheeks and the hair!!!
I never thought I would let my kid out of his crib but once it happened I was like 'OH this rocks'. I mean first of all if he is sick and wakes up and does not want me to leave I at least have a place to lay my body besides the floor. UGH...
And he totally stays put in his bed until morning and then like you said lazy parents win-win he comes to us each morning. I just need to teach him how to start the coffee and turn on Super Why or Higglytown Heros himself but you know we cannot win 'em all (right away)!
Oh, she is beautiful. I want to see her in person, and watch her play with my daughter. What would happen with TWO hell beast, set loose together????
Our crib doesn't convert, so M is stuck in it for at least another year. She does have a twin sized bed in her room though, so I get to see her cute "little kid" bedding. =)
I love this! She is so cute! BR is so cute! You are so cute!
Cute cute cute. Love that first picture.
My son didn't ever bother with trying to climb out of his crib like some kids do, so being the Lazy Parent that I am I just left him in there. Until he was 3ish. At which point I just took off the drop-down side to "convert" it to a toddler bed. He slept in that until we bought our house and a twin-size bed for him, shortly before he turned 4. And by then he was so accustomed to being in the crib he just assumed that he couldn't get out by himself so he would STILL call for someone to come get him up.
Alright - I'm officially lame mom. My 5 year old girlchild still just has a mattress on the floor. I'm getting my as to IKEA now.
Loved the COPS ref.
Dude. My kid would be out of her bed and emptying out her dresser drawers at 3:00am if she wasn't in a crib. Or she'd wander into the kitchen to eat dog food.
She's staying in her crib until Iam's Large Breed is no longer her favorite food.
Whatevs - those little things are totally made to fall to the ground from a few feet up and live to see another day.
With that said, mine is staying in her crib until her growth is stunted because of it, as she would totally be climbing out of a bed to come sleep with me every night. I'm so not digging her chubby little toes being jammed against my gut during my beauty rest.
On another note, I'm glad to see new pictures of AD. That is one cute kid.
She looks very grown-up sitting on the bed though. What a cutie!
How adorable are those pictures?!
I would have totally forgot about my kids in a blog title list as well.
Glad to hear the bed transition is going well so far.
LOVE THE PICS!
Big Girl Bed Day is the best day of parenting EVER! Congratulations on that whole not-having-to-drag-your-ass-out-of-bed thing. It's the greatest!
Oh me oh my. What a delicious nibble of toddler you've got there!
Tessie,
You are seriously one of only a handful of bloggers that can make me laugh OUT LOUD on the REG.
'She leaps over that rail like she a perp on Cops.' OMG.
Funny stuff.
Can I PAY your sister-in-law to make my kids one of those blankets? Because, yes, AD is extremely adorable and you are incredibly funny (and seem like the kind of cool girl I would have wanted to hang out with in high school if only I hadn't been too shy to talk to you), but seriously, the SOX BLANKET! (They are off tonight and I am dying ovah heah.)
Wow she is adorable. Really adorable.
And again you crack me up. Calum still sleeps in his crib and he's almost a YEAR OLDER. He loves it. And I'm all for bars on his cage for as long as we can manage.
Lise, I would venture to guess that you could make one of those blankets fairly easily. (YOU! We're talking about YOU here, not ME!) It's not sewn or anything, it's one of those where you take two pieces of fleece (or whatever) and then cut strips into the edges and just tie them together.
AD does look like you (in some of your pics-hee hee hee)
Love the Sox fleece blankie!
I love the line about the crib whispering to BR, that cracks me up! And men say they don't hear voices.
SD on the other hand, needs the confinement. The other morning I awoke to her throwing a pillow on my head at 5:30!
Post a Comment