Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Three Things: High Maintenance Edition

*I have a haircut appointment in, oh, 4 HOURS, and I have...no plan whatsoever. Seriously. No. Plan. It's been over a year since my last haircut. Am I the only one who goes in and tells the stylist to just "do whatever you think! I don't know, just give me whatever the kids are into these days"? I've been doing this for YEARS, and I've never had a horrifying cut. Then again, I'm not fussy about hair (REALLY Tessie? YOU?), and my hair grows quickly, but still. I'm getting the sense that this is a Unique and possibly Insane tactic based on the reaction of my coworkers (all accountants, so control for that factor, obv). The last time I told my stylist to do "whatever" I got this, which I liked a lot (although in a shocking turn of events I can't be trusted with upkeep of highlights):
Bonus cameo of HUGE hunk of meat! Sorry meat-avoiders! Although I'll have you know that's a $75 Chateaubriand, right there. Talk about Good Eats.

So, do you guys go in with an artist's rendering and step-by-step directions, or WHAT? And if so, there's still time to email me the document!

*I also happen to be sitting on a $200 spa gift card that I've had for about 6 months now. Unless you are a total skimmer, you may have deduced that I am not really the target demographic for $200 spa gift cards. A $200 gift card to the local liquor store with attached Chicken and Waffle House is more my speed. Nonetheless, I feel I must come up with something here. I'm thinking pedicure(s)? I've never had a massage either, but I was thinking that I could get a whole SUMMER's worth of pedicures for $200, whereas as at this particular spa $200 is only worth about two massages. Anyway, I'm talking out of my ass here, so the point is: what do you recommend? Besides a tall glass of STFU, SPOILED BITCH? (Also: the first person to use the word "pamper" is BANNED. I cannot STAND that word. It makes me think of BUTTS)

*AND, I'm getting my wrinkly flap smoothed this afternoon! JESUS! This is the most high-maintenance day OF MY LIFE! First lasik, then spa services administered by professionals, and a haircut too! What is next, permanent eyeliner? FACE LIFT? It's like goddamned Dr. 90210 over here! Apologies to all of the REGULAR FOLKS reading. We'll be back to ignoring our appearance and general well-being shortly.

52 comments:

Jess said...

I have a general idea of what I like to do with my hair because I know what works with curly hair. But I don't go in with more than a vague idea and then I have a chat with the stylist before I get my hair washed, while it's still dry and he can look at it, and decide what to do from there. So no, you aren't alone.

Also, for the gift card... I would probably split it. One massage with half of it and then a bunch of pedicures with the other half. Some practical, some splurge.

Christina Schmidt said...

I never go in with a plan so I generally end up with stick straight hair that I had trimmed and I pay too much for that.

This last cut (on Saturday) I wanted to chop my hair, do something different but had no plan. Bad idea. I do not think the girl I went to was very good and I ended up with the first cut I have hated in like 15 years or longer! Opps.

I need to find a hairdresser that has some experience but not TOO much experience. SO there is the whole does your hairdresser actually know what the hell she is doing thing to add to that!!

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I'd get 1 massage and some pedicures with the rest.

You could also get a facial if you are ooged out by the thought of a massage. Or there is also the dreaded waxing....

jen said...

I'm going in with the no-plan today! except I'm going to supercuts so that might not turn out good at all.

The best thing I did, and I'm not frou frou.. pedicure w/hot stone foot massage. The only way that could have been better was if the girl would have shut up and allowed me to fall asleep making homer drool noises. As it was we were all there as a treat to our pregnant friend and the technicians were all SO VERY INTERESTED in asking each of us questions about her.

Swistle said...

I usually go in and say something like, "I like what we did last time? With the layers? But maybe...shorter this time? I was thinking maybe shorter. Or do you think that would be too short? I don't know, what do you think?" Then she does whatever she thinks is best, and I go away relieved.

Anonymous said...

I also have a general idea, mostly based on famous people's hair. I've gone in with something like "I want a little Mariska Hargitay and a little Posh Spice/Katie Holmes (since they are BFF and have very similar haircuts)". It's kinda nitpicky to do that, because i'm usually also like "but not quite that short". Good luck is all I have to say.

I'm also with Jess, get a massage and some pedicures. That way you use up a big chunk of the gift card, and won't have to remember to go back SOOOO many times for a pedicure. I'm not super high maintenance but I will admit I really love getting a massage once in a while!

Flibberty said...

Spa services make me nervous. I dislike massages because I feel awkward and uncomfortable and thus, don't really benefit from the thing. However, I second the recommendation for the hot stone pedicure. Delightful. I also think that maybe you should just go for the weirdest thing on the menu, just for kicks. I mean, maybe a sea weed wrap, or one of those cupping things. Why not?

Anonymous said...

I always bring in pictures of celebrities, but I try to find ones that have the same type of hair and then ask my stylist if she thinks the cut will work on me. I think the last time I went in with pics of Katie Holmes and Posh Spice, JESUS, but I got the cut I wanted.

Dude - $200 worth of spa services? Are you getting your diamond shoes refitted today too? Heh. I would blow it all on massages because I love them; pedicures are fun too, and since I saw your comment about needing Toe Maintenance (I laughed so hard because ME TOO), maybe get one of those.

bananafana said...

My stylist and I don't even discuss anymore - I just go in and we talk about other things and she just starts cutting it however she wants. I don't ever know what it's going to look like until it is done. I realized the last time when she cut a long chunk off that maybe I should ASK FIRST. then I remembered that I don't care
I think I would recommend pedicure. I don't like massages - the idea of someone I don't know rubbing stuff on me just grosses me out a bit. Maybe you should get a WAX - THAT sounds like fun.

Tess said...

Shauna, I KNOW on the $200. It was a BUSINESS GIFT. No one who knows me would give me a $200 spa gift card. Sad but true.

Alice said...

i am a TOTAL SUCKER for a massage, especially a really nice full body one, so there is absolutely zero chance i wouldn't use at least 1/2 the cert on a massage. i like the idea of 1 massage slash multiple pedicures, though.

i usually go into a salon and say something like "so.. it needs to be shorter, since the ends are all, like, dead... right? um.. how about some.. layers? body..?" and no matter what i end up with the same lame haircut every time.

Anonymous said...

I had a coworker who was going to be hospitalized for about two weeks and had permanent eyeliner done. Her husband had never seen her without makeup (after 10+ years of marriage), so this was her solution. As for me, that would be at the top of my list of things that I would NEVER do!

Anonymous said...

That Chateaubriand was AWESOME!

3carnations said...

The only major haircut change of my adult life was 3 and a half years ago, when I got it cut short (back to shoulder length now). My coworker's wife had gotten her hair cut short, and it looked so cute. I asked my coworker if it would be okay if I brought a picture of his wife with the new hairdo. He actually gave me one. So I brought in a picture of a real life person and said "I want this." It worked out, too!

email said...

I had never had a pedicure until one of my so-called FRIENDS dragged me kicking and screaming (the thought of people touching my feet skeeved me out, actually that should still be present-tense, SKEEVES me out). I got through it, and it wasn't too bad. Actually, the chair makes the whole thing worth it, because it's like getting a massage. I was ready to plunk down the $4000 to BUY one of those chairs to put in front of my TV (screw the little foot pool at the bottom, I could use it to store remotes). I haven't been back for another pedicure, but my feet did look awesome hot, so now I do my own. As for massages, I've never had a professional one. Again it's the skeeve factor. Some stranger rubbing my body would make me HIGHLY uncomfortable. I'd go into the spa and ask if you could use the $200 on a down-payment for a pedicure chair. :)

Laura said...

When I was still "doing hair" you were my favorite client. You never came in and said stupid things like,"I want something completely different but I don't want to loose any length..." or "Is there any way I can make my hair lighter without chemicals?" I mean, it was usually horrible but, over time, most of my regular clients would say exactly what you say, "Whatever you think" and then, over time we would make little tweaks and stuff to cut and color. No help to you am I, except to tell you that you make for an awesome client. Especially because you don't follow "Do whatever you think" with a weeks worth of phone calls bitching about how it's "not what you wanted." Which (to be disclaimer-y) is okay if one actually starts out asking for something. Phew... That said, I'm a sucker for a massage. I say, blow it on that and you'll be in heaven. So good for stress and tension relief, and they help me with migraine control. Luckily, my father's girlfriend is currently in massage therapy school and I get to be a guinea pig and, Get THIS, she says I'm "helping her out." Never have I so gladly helped someone in my life.

email said...

Oh, forgot about haircuts. I was too busy cringing over the thought of strangers touching me. I can't remember my last haircut, but yeah, I pretty much just go in and say trim with long layers or whatever you think will look good.

Anonymous said...

I always say I want my hair longer than chin-length, but anything else is fine. And it always works out. I am thinking your coworkers are shocked because they are Texans. Texas women = high maintenance in the hair dept.

I would get pedicures. I don't care for massages, and manicures don't last long enough to make it worth it.

Anonymous said...

When I went from almost to the waist length to above the shoulder length I went in with a picture of what I wanted. My stylist then gave me hair that was opposite of what I wanted. The cut was right, the styling was WAY wrong.

In the usual course of hair, I just explain what I want and let them go.

With a spa card like that I would get a hot stone massage in a NY minute. I'm almost salivating at the thought.

Tess said...

Laura, Oh my GOD, I would never call back later and say it wasn't what I wanted. NEVER NEVAH EVAH. I'm feeling nervous in the tummy just THINKING of that.

LoriD said...

I am no help to you whatsoever. I get my hair done at SuperCuts and it's usually just "do what you think". I have had a spa gift certificate on my desk for almost a year and I have no plans to use it any time soon. I think the only thing I could handle would be a manicure. The thought of a massage or a pedicure makes me queasy. Good luck with it though!

Anonymous said...

My hair grows fast too, so I take a few risks here and there with my cuts. I'm not talking perms or anything drastic but I'll cut it short and layers and do some funky stuff because. Mostly I figure- its hair and it'll grow.

For spa treatments - I'd say a facial. I had a bad spa pedicure recently and some bad experiences with massages so I'm anti-pedi/massages right now.

Tess said...

What is the DEAL with facials? I've never had one of those either. It seems like you don't come away with anything TANGIBLE there, you know? Like with the pedi you have presentable feet and with the massage you feel relaxed, but isn't a facial just...a clean face?

Holy shit, I am clearly retarded here.

Skiplovey said...

My god that's brave. I've never said "do what you think looks best", that's way too scary for me, but then again the vague instructions I give has resulted in variations from totally awesome to totally hideous depending on the stylist. My current hair dresser gives me the same damn cut no matter what I say so I think it's time to start bringing in visuals.

I'm a sucka for a massage so I'd go with 1 massage and the rest pedicures. Love pedicures and also so damn lazy about upkeep at home.

Michelle Smiles said...

I'm the same way. I go in with no plan. I tell them to do whatever. My only guidelines are no bangs, not shorter than my chin, and not too high maintenance because I am lazy. Otherwise, have at it. Some stylists look like deer in headlights...other get a little gleam in their eyes and ask me to repeat it louder so everyone can hear. My thought is that it is just hair and will grow back. I've never cried after a cut so it hasn't turned out too badly.

Moderndayhermit said...

Holy shit, you've been sitting on this gift card for THAT LONG? Hmph.

Facials are AWESOME. They massage your head and shoulders...

If I had to choose between a facial/massage and getting a super-fantastic lay...well, that would be a major toss-up.

If it were me, I'd be beating down their door for a facial, massage, pedicure and manicure and just pay the overflow.

I'm totally with you on the hair, it grows back so what the hell, go for it.

Emily said...

I would go with the pedicures. I had a massage once and it was nice, but when it was over it was kind of "eh. . . ", whereas pedicures end and at least my toes are pretty.

Anonymous said...

I say go for the summer's worth of pedicures. With the pedicures you aren't obligated to be social. You hand the pedicurist the polish, stick your feet in their face and your face in a book. With the massage or facial, there could be CHATTING. Bleh.

Yes, I'm a misanthropic New Yorker. So what?

Anonymous said...

I would go for a hot stone massage. It's really relaxing when they put the stones on your face (although they don't always do this).

I've had one facial and it was awful! Partly because I didn't know what they were going to do and I hate my face being completely covered. Needless to say, when the woman covered up my face, wrapped my hands in warming mits, and then left for like 15 minutes, I panicked!!! I kept thinking how someone could come in and kill me and I'd never see it coming. I know, a bit paranoid.

Tess said...

Paula-totally against chatting of any kind. Excellent point.

Farrell said...

If you have a hair stylist you trust, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going in and saying "Whatever you think." In fact, my most disappointed moments have been when I come in with a picture and say "Make me look like HER" and the stylist doesn't have the heart to tell me I could never, ever in a million years look like THAT, not even with a professional chef, personal trainer, dietician, and makeup artist at my disposal.
Get a massage: you will NOT regret it.

Marie Green said...

I say go with the summers' worth of cute toes. And make BR do the massages. =)

Ami said...

Well I'm kind of a celebrity gossip hound, so I print pictures of celebrity hairstyles that I like and take those in, with instructions to modify/adjust based on my face shape, hair type, etc.

I'm not a massage kind of person, but I do love a good facial. There is usually minimal chatting.

the new girl said...

Oh, I TOTALLY go in and say, 'Do whatever you WANT.' Ha ha! I have a good stylist and I don't mind coming out with RADICALLY different styles than the time before. Before I had a kid, that was a thing, really. Totally different each time. Color ad all.

BUT, since my kid literally CRIES when I put my hair up in a pony-tail, (like she doesn't know me anymore--for REAL) I've had the same cut for almost a year now.

And I love me a massage but there is NO chatting. None. Pedicures make me squirrely but they look really nice.

All right. ENOUGH.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely go with at least one massage, they are the greatest. At a nice spa the person giving you the massage will not instigate any conversation, they know you are there to relax and they take the lead from you. You will be safe with no chatting.

I have curly hair that I always hate, no matter what I pay for a haircut. So, I am no use on the haircut. BUT, I am from Texas and it is a stereotype that we all have big hair and wear shitcans of makeup!

Good luck and show us a picture!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Wait, you aren't saying you've never had a PEDICURE are you? That just can't be. I'm blocking that out because I like you and would hate for you to be Dead to Me.

I think you should stick with the hair style you have. It looks good. I'm boring.

Erin said...

I actually do the same thing with haircuts at times. Sometimes I have a rough idea in mind, but usually I let the artist explore their creative side, and you KNOW that is not in my character!! I would do the pedicure thing too, a whole summer of them, how dreamy!!

We should mark today down on the calendar for your high-maintenance debut!

MaryB said...

I am medium to high maintenance and even I do not go in with a plan for the haircut (at least not usually). I trust my stylist and sometimes, if I have to wait and I am perusing the hair magazines while waiting, I'll see something I really like, and show it to her.

Gift card - love facials. LOVE pedicures, but I find that the really pricey spas do not give me as good of a pedicure as some of the less prestigious places. Weird, huh? I hate massages (I know - also very weird), Id be spending it on laser hair removal, but that is because I am OBSESSED with hair removal. I HATE to shave, especially in the summer when the upkeep is a total bitch when you are at the beach and pool every day.

Could this comment be more bizarre?

Oh, and can I please, please, please be invited the next time you are making chateaubriand???? MmmmMYUMmmmm!

Nowheymama said...

Ditto what Swistle does.

Our town's only spa is owned by the salon where I get my hair cut, so when I get a gift card, I use it on haircuts. LAME.

Anonymous said...

I'm the WORST - I never know what to ask for because I've always hated my hair. I wouldn't be surprised if I went in and asked for a spiral perm (kidding!). I have to make an appointment myself, before vacation. I called Friday to do that and found that my stylist has left. That sent me into a tailspin. So not only do I have to go to a new person, I have to tell them 'whatever'. I figure they know more than me anyway.

Good luck. We expect to see photos.

Anonymous said...

I never know what I want done when I get my hair cut. I love my hair guy and I trust him to know what will look good on me/what won't and what my hair will/will not do. I don't bring in pics of celebrities because I figure they have stylists to make their hair work whereas I have about 4 minutes daily and I don't think that's quite the same. I usually go in and say if if I want it shorter/longer/same, then tell him to decide the rest.

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a spa girl myself, but that hasn't stopped the gift cards ;)

My absolute favorite thing is a Vicci Shower. Not too many spas offer them, but it's pretty much the best thing ever.

If you've never had a facial, I'd suggest that too (a nice change of pace from the massage and pedicure route). It's amazing how your skin feels afterwards.

I don't suggest wasting a fancy spa gift card on a pedicure - those are easy to come by for much less.

Also, see if the spa offers 30-minute massages, that'll help spread your gift card out. Personally, I get bored after 30 minutes, so it's the perfect length for me.

Just my two cents.

Oh, and I get my hair cut maybe twice a year. I never have a picture and just tell them to cut off enough to make it healthy. So I think your approach is totally within the realms of normal ... but I'm sort of a nut case, so maybe I'm not the best one to pass judgment on that.

Frank said...

Tessie you looks so DIFFERENT in every picture! Just kidding. I definately recommend trying at least one massage before you spend all your gift card on those delicate feet. It's so worth it.

Pavette said...

My hair method: Go buy a People smut magazine, find a celeb head you like at take the photo along for your cut.
As for the spa, once you get a massage, you will be HOOKED. (unless you hate to be touched. I don't remember reading you fuss about touching, but I'm a recent lurker)

Sarah said...

I am busy cracking up at all your comments-
My Buddy Mimi: How can someone's husband have NEVER seen them without makeup? It literally blows my mind. Do they have, like, separate WINGS of the house in which to retire at night to bathe, wash faces, etc? And then he makes conjugal visits weekly, with all the lights off?
Modern Day Hermit: "a super fantastic lay"! Ah, me too. I think massages are a very small step down from, like, multi-orgasmic sex. They are AWESOME. If you've never had one, I would definitely spend at least half the gift certificate on that. Then you can see if you enjoyed it and go from there.

SLynnRo said...

Maybe know YOU can get the hostile "Rich Bitch" emails and not me! YAY!

Also, my GRANDMA has permanent eyeliner and lipliner. That she got when she was 60.

Also, massage all the way.

Kristin said...

In my low maintenance opinion, if you'd like to make that $200 s t r e t c h, I would get a pedicure whenever "sandal season" starts in TX and then get a massage. Pedicures seem to last me about 2-3 months. Some people think that's crazy..but as long as I have the same color nail polish and some clear coat to do touch ups once in awhile I feel my toes can look quite nice for that length of time. This way you can get a little more out of that gift card than pedicures.

Anonymous said...

I do the same in the salon. I ask them to "trim the ends, and add layers. Lots of layers." The key is a good stylist, which I used to have but, alas, not anymore. I need a new haircut.

Saly said...

Can't wait to see what you did!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say I agree with you on the p-word thing. Pamper doesn't just remind me of butts - it actually makes my brain think it smells hint of a dirty diaper. ~Laura

Tess said...

Laura, ME TOO! ARGG!

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to say that my usual 'do what you like' with my hair did NOT turn out well this time. My 'new' stylist seemed fine, but when we decided to do the stacked bob thing (a la Posh Spice, but aren't I lame? No, I had that 2 years ago!)....anyway, I think she did the back with a hedge trimmer. It looks like in 16 Candles when Caroline (?) gets her hair stuck in the door and they have to cut her free. That's my hair.

Now I have to phone tomorrow, see if she's working, then see if the manager can fix it. Awkward!