Tuesday, April 1, 2008

GAH!

Holy SHIT I am behind on stuff, you guys. When I fail to blog and even to READ BLOGS (200 unread posts AND COUNTING!), you know it's bad.

Things that have totally harshed my buzz in the last week:

*AD's plague. She's feeling much better now, but thanks to our friend the Fever-Free-for-24-Hours Rule, I had to stay home with her two days last week when I was ALSO supposed to be out of the office for Dork Conventions. Several of you asked whether AD is the sweet, cuddly kind of sick kid, and I would like to punch you all in the face, skimmers. Okay, fine, not YOU. But SOMEBODY.

*Dork Conventions. I did make it to Friday's Dork Convention (CPA Conference), which featured a speech on the topic of "Economic Outlook for 2008". UHH. That was CHEERY. I hope none of you were planning on selling a home/buying a home/selling investments/buying gas/relying on the US banking system anytime this year. JESUS. The speaker's opinion was that this will be the worst recession since the 80s. So that's awesome. The good news is that Texas, in the words of this economist, "may choose not to participate" in the recession. Heh. That is just like you, Texas. Well, this time I approve. BEST OF LUCK TO THE REST OF YOU.

*Mothah in Law. BR's mom is staying with us for about two weeks before we all travel to Boston together for the marathon (and so we can get lasahed). I know what you THINK I'm going to say here, you crabby fuckers, but this is actually wicked awesome. She's a nice, low maintenance kind of mother-in-law and also AVAILABLE TO WATCH OUR KID. This is a totally new experience for us, since we don't have any family within 1000 miles and therefore typically have to watch our OWN kid, which I think we can all agree is so, so lame. Also, observing the life of my mother-in-law, who is retired from working at the welfare office for 20 years (GAH!), is sort of encouraging. She doesn't do JACK SHIT and it is AWESOME. She drinks coffee, and smokes, and watches bad tv, and reads cooking magazines, and sits around outside. Now, my mother-in-law has raised FOUR loud and insane children, so if she can achieve this kind of life, SO CAN I. It will be mine. OH YES. IT WILL BE MINE.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back Tessie. I don't know what it's like to have the sick kid, so while I sympathize, I unfortunately cannot empathize.

It's funny that the speaker said Texas may choose not to participate in the recession. That is why Texas is so bad ass and messed up all in one!

Have a good week.

Nowheymama said...

Thanks for fitting in this hilarious post in the middle of the insanity.

Tilly said...

TWO WEEKS!! That's a longass time. I mean, I like Fiji's parents and all (who coincidentally are coming in town tonight), but 3-5 days is probably my limit.

Recessions, along with money issues in general, scare me. (Hold me.)

Fay said...

I keep hoping they're wrong about how bad it'll be. It's already pretty bad. Plus, I think economists are about as good at making predictions as meteorologists.

Plus, I'm trying to sell my condo. Hold me.

Anonymous said...

I think i aspire to be your MIL....without the smoking, but still.

mom of the year said...

Economy = sucks.

MIL = yeah! I love having fam around to watch LD. Enjoy it to the max.

AD = congrats on your survival.

Anonymous said...

Your MIL sounds fantastic.

Are you getting nervous about the lasering yet?

Animanous said...

I am totally aprehensive about house buying in this economy, but that is what the plan is for flib and I.

ALso, we have no children, but our dogs pose similar watching problems when we would like to go places. We just put them in a cage and leave though. I suppose caging children would be frowned upon by social services, huh?

Jess said...

Yay! You're here! I have been wondering about you.

Anyway, your MIL sounds like a dream. I wish mine were.

Kat said...

It took me awhile but I finally figured out the (lasahed) - that damn accent - geez! I absolutely L.O.V.E. my MIL but I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than have her in my house for two SOLID WEEKS - GAH!

MsPrufrock said...

I just got rid of my Mom today, who visited for 12 days. In a 2 bedroom flat. In which resides a 20 month old and two fully grown adults. Ugh. Anyway, the babysitting aspect of it rocked, and I shall miss it greatly. My Mom lives 4500 miles away, so the babysitting thing doesn't happen very often.

I'm going to go cry in envy now.

Anonymous said...

I would totally stab myself repeatedly if my mil came to stay with us for 2 weeks. The 4 or 5 days during Rita was MORE THAN ENOUGH, thank you.

I can not wait to hear how the lasering goes, especially how BR recovers. :)

Anonymous said...

Economy = scary.

MIL = mine won't come here, but it's fun to visit them. MY mom, on the other hand, was just here for 2 weeks to help out (and it was cool) and is still here because her flight got cancelled! When the baby was born, she was here for 3 MONTHS, and it was great! People pity my husband, but he loves it too (my mom is pretty much ok). Our baby gets played with, our dog gets walked, our dinners get cooked, our dishes get cleaned. And she brings me fun things from England. What more could you want?

Erin said...

Glad AD is feeling better! Kids are really clingy when sick, which makes it extra hard to be at home with them!

Tess said...

P&D-I'm really not nervous. BR is the pussy, not me. We had a pre-op appointment yesterday and they already marked his file as a Troublemaker.

Animanous-I would be less worried about BUYING a home, especially if you plan to be in it for a few years. It's probably a decent time to be getting a mortgage and also a good time to refinance your current mortgage.

The economist DID say that he wouldn't buy a home within 500 miles of Detroit at the moment, which I thought was funny. Apparantly it's not looking good at all for the auto industry.

Skiplovey said...

Love when the MIL watches the kid, LOVE IT. We are so spoiled, the in-laws live 2 minutes away and love babysitting.
Glad the kid is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

My mom's boyfriend is retired, and he does funny old man things like go to the same gas station every morning to get coffee and chat with the other old retired guys. ONLY THIRTY OR FORTY MORE YEARS TO GO!

Banana said...

"Texas is choosing not to participate" heh. And also, all of us crazy librals Told You So (not you, Tessie, but the Dubya voters). Dubya for eight years = a shit stick of a mess for the next guy to clean up.

Swistle said...

Aw, crud, I was hoping for some mother-in-law crap. Sigh. Couldn't you...make something up, or something?

Alice said...

yet another reason i probably shouldn't have a kid: i suspect my Tolerance Meter for Whiny, Plague-Ridden Kids (Even When Mine) is fairly stunted.

Alice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas said...

I missed you so much!

PJ said...

Loved the MIL comments. I completely feel your pain with the "no family within 1000 miles" comment. I actually really enjoy when my Mom visits even though we are COMPLETELY different.....hey it's a break from single kiddo raising. So life is good!

Jess said...

Wow. Twenty years at the Welfare Office. That's one tough nut. I have a difficult time standing in line at the post office for 35 seconds. Something about government agencies suck my will to live. SOO glad that AD is feeling better. Not a lot worse than sick littles.

MaryB said...

For once it pays to live in Texas! Thank god for the Barnett Shale!

Your MIL and my MIL = polar opposites.

Me said...

Sounds like my kind of lady! If she is looking for something to do after she leaves your pad, I am in need of a sitter. Well not really, but she just sounds like a fun time to have around.

Farrell said...

If I ever have another MIL (God forbid), I hope she's like yours:)