- I have several fancy wine-openers, but my favorite one, and the one that works the best, is a $1 pocket wine key (the kind that folds up to look sort of like a pocket knife). I've had it since I waited tables in college. It was 1 (ONE) U.S. DOLLAR, PEOPLE. In 1998.
- The top three search phrases for this blog are "math quizzles", "counting back change", and variations of "2000 Flushes Blue sucks".
- Both my maiden name and my married name have Superfluous Capital Letters and can be written with or without a space. This drives me INSANE.
- BR wanted to name AD "Joaquin" if she was a boy. True story.
- I keep ordering Wendy's Kids Meals trying to score the Caddoo travel game that kept AD busy DURING AN ENTIRE CHURCH SERVICE while my mom was here. Why don't I just ASK for that toy when I order, you say? Oh, Skimmers. I love ya.
- BR was a Field Medic when he was in the Army (I TOLD you Greg's a male nurse). He says their philosophy was "pain is the patient's problem". This is SO HIM.
- BR is agnostic. It doesn't bother me at all.
- One of us wants AD to go to public school and one of us wants AD to go to Catholic school.
- I'm drinking my coffee out of a mug that I won for giving the Best Persuasive Speech in one of my grad school classes. The title of the speech was "Why I Will Die In a Fiery Wreck if You Don't Buy Me a New Car".
- Friday is my busiest work day of the week, thanks to a standing Monday morning meeting led by my boss. I can almost never take Fridays off, and THIS SUCKS.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Fun Fact Friday!
Fun Facts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

43 comments:
Did that speech net you a new car as well as a mug?
Joaquin + your last name = WAY fake Hispanic.
Gerald was a medic in the Navy. He's got a terrible bedside manner. I guess those Navy/Marine guys aren't all about the touchy-feely shit anyway.
I want Maddie to go to parochial school, too.
Interesting about your speech and the fact that you didn't maintain your car at all. A new car would've sort of been wasted on you, wouldn't it?
Negatory. The speech "audience" was supposed to be my parents, which is laughable since they can't even afford decent cars for THEMSELVES.
Listen, if you have another kid, it had BETTER BE A GIRL.
Just saying.
We have the public/catholic school debate too. M went to Catholic schools growing up, and I went to public schools. I guess the point is that we both turned out OK, but we definitely have our preferences.
Aaron is agnostic too. People act like I should get all worked up about it. I don't get it.
Joaquin, huh?
We debate about public vs. catholic school too, and we are both on both sides of the debate, being that we both transfered out of catholic school in Junior High.
One of the big cons is that here, the catholic schools are closing like crazy, and they don't offer music. I also think about being a social retard when I entered public school.
But the sheltered, (maybe false) sense of security, is a big plus for us. I suppose time will tell!
We're going parochial schools (since my dad is the Pope and all). I got top grades in my speech class for topics like toilet paper and how I was going to be a princess when I grew up. The class was a bit of a joke.
We have an invoicing period all through the beginning of the month so I'm only allowed to take off the last two weeks of each month. I don't know if that's worse or the friday thing is . . .
Bonus Fun Fact!
I'm not the one who wants her to go to Catholic School.
Ah, somehow I guessed the school preferences were the opposite of what we would initially think. Those Catholic School kids always turn out to be the biggest troublemakers anyway, huh? ;) I think it's a variation of the preacher's kid syndrome.
Do you by any chance happen to have a copy of that speech? If it #1. won you a mug and #2. was written by you, it HAS to be good!
Are you going to be mad if I tell you we had that travel Cadoo game from Wendy's and I threw it away? If I get another, I promise it's yours.
Our last night has the same Superfluous Capital Letter that can be spelled with or without a space. Therefore when you try to check in for a flight, the system will not find you because your ID and the way the airline typed your name is not the same and it takes an extra 20 minutes before they decide Shelly OverLook is the same as Shelly Over Look. Or so I've heard.
Shelly-OR, the just have you down as Shelly O. Look. Or Shelly Olook.
friday is one of my busiest days at work too. sucks all kinds of donkey balls.
I'm strongly leaning toward Catholic school too, after learning from my new hairdresser who went to the small town public high school how easy it was for her to go to school and get drunk and/or high on campus and attend class and fail classes but still graduate. Weee! Moving is also a strong possibility.
I love Friday Facts! These are great. I especially like the bit about the Wendy's kids meal. I used to be the same way, but now I'd probably go inside and ask for the toy and then apologize a bagillion times and thank the poor kid behind the counter enough that it became awkward. Phew. That was quite a sentence.
Nice job with the persuasive speech. Do you still have it? Post it! Post it! Who knows, you may get a new car out of it.
That sucker is long gone. Knowing me, I probably pitched it into the trash as I left the classroom. I've never been much of a Keeper.
I knew BR was the one who wanted Catholic school. Sending your kids to Catholic school = Fussypants. Not in a bad way. Just a fussy way.
Pain is the patient's problem: Oh my God, that's hilarious. And reminds me why I would not be cut out for the military.
I sort of like the name Joaquin ... but I fear NO ONE would ever spell it correctly. I'm very opposed to names that lend themselves to misspellings.
What did YOU want to name AD if she was a boy?
M-Actually, I don't mind the name either, other than the fact that it goes a little overboard on the whole Hispanic Theme.
Truth be told, I didn't really give the thought that AD would be a boy much headspace. I, uh, sort of always pictured her as a girl for whatever (DUMB) reason. And we found out she WAS a girl at 18 weeks, so there wasn't much time for discussion.
I do remember liking James and Julian for boys.
I'm with you on the cheap wine openers. They are all I saw being used in Italy, anyway and I figure they know how to open their wine bottles.
Somehow I knew he was the one that wanted her to go to the Catholic School. Lock that girl up tight where she is safe from the crazies...and the boys.
Those are all very interesting tidbits and I could comment on any one of them, but the last one takes the case: your boss has standing meetings on fridays?!?!? (S)he is an evil, evil (wo)man.
um, I mean, "takes the CAKE," not "takes the case." Spelling, I R suck.
The Friday thing definitely blows. I have the same situation, except it's Tuesdays. I can never take Tuesdays off. Not that I really want to. But I know how it feels, and it would be horrible to have your Fridays be that way.
Both of my kids went to Catholic schools from Kindergarten on. My son graduated HS in 2006 (by the skin of MY teeth) and my daughter will graduate in 2009. A lot depends on the kid, the school, the school administration and the administration's ego. The current HS principal apparently has great dreams of invading Poland and if my son were still a student ... I can't even think about it but I'm sure an interview with Geraldo Rivera would result. (BTW, we are not foaming-at-the-mouth Catholics. "Lapsed" would be generous.)
I really like the name Joaquin. What gives? But I concur with uh, someone up above about the potential of it being constantly misspelled and/or mispronounced and therefore driving me BATSHITCRAZYPANTSINSANE.
Anyway, your Friday should be almost over by now, right? THANKS FULLY!
Oh my goodness, that seriously was the best presentation I ever heard, from anyone, ever. My favorite part (I hope I am quoting this right) was when you said something like "working speedometers: zero". hee hee
I wish you had been one of my public speaking students. I'm sure I would hve enjoyed teaching much more with topics like that.
I was going to tell you something, and then I read your bonus fun fact. We have the same fun fact. My husband was agnostic too. Isn't that funny?
Great post!
The Friday things SUCKS!! What a load of crap.
Im all for the Catholic school as long as its not the first one my kids went to here which we have named Our Lady of Perpetual Retribution. Other people I know just refer to it as Auschwitz. The one they are at now )as well as the one in FL) is AWESOME! Best money I spend, and a total non-negotiable budget item for me.
Im jealous of people with the more than one capital letter last names - they sound so grown up and sophisticated.
I hope you have more girls!
I think you should post text of your prize-winning speech!
Friday is my busiest work day, too!
BOOOOOOOOOO!!! But, at least my Mondays don't start at the GOD AWFUL 7:15 a.m. or whatever the hell is you deal with. Bah.
I believe the "2000 Flushes Blue Sucks" was the first post of yours that I read. I still remember imagining you doing the triumphant fist pump when you fixed the toilet...
I don't remember how I got here, though. Probably through Swistle or Black Sheeped.
based on the horrible excuse for english language I hear coming out of the mouths of the public school kids in our neighborhood and I am very anti-the govt educating my child our son will go to the Catholic School.
and we have all kinds of fancy expensive ice cream scoopers and the BEST one is the one I grabbed at the check out line at Ikea for 50 cents
Our kiddies go to public school in the toilet bowl of the nation. But, BUT! I wouldn't send them to Catholic schools even if it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg in 'out of parish' fees. The reason?
Guilt sucks. We are happy, healthy non-religious folks and would really like to keep the ulcers and talkin' to dead folks to a minimum.
I'm pretty sure that there are a LOT of medical personnel, army and otherwise, who hold that "pain is the patient's problem" theory. Still, I'm adding it to my list of reasons why I would never make it in the military.
Also, I went to a private religious school for high school (not Catholic, though, more of the Crazy Baptist variety.) The main reason I wouldn't send our kids there was the total lack of actual education. We spent half the day in Bible class or praying before class, or helping do stuff around the school because they couldn't afford cleaning staff. Senior year, our econ/government teacher was a retired pastor who happened to have a teaching degree. He spent half the time napping and the other half handing out quizzes which we graded ourselves in class. I learned literally nothing most of my four years there, other than how to roll up my uniform skirt just high enough that the teachers didn't notice but the boys did.
I have that same cheap-ass wine opener - the requirement of choice for college waitstaff saving every last scrapping penny of their tips to go out later and binge drink. Sometimes we even weilded those things around as proof that we were cool enough to be bar staff, and all the rest of the peons could wait 45 minutes for another watered-down LonGisland.
Not that I speak from experience, or anything.
Hah, I lvoe the note about wine openers, Ive been oving apartments and realzied yesterday when I was looking for a stick of gum that I have been carrying a wine opener in my purse for about two weeks now, now that I know I'm sure it will come in handy.
i just googled "2000 flushes blue sucks," fyi, and your blog is the ONLY RESULT. congrats!
Late to the party, but wanted to say that I have never been able to figure out those restaurant-style openers. My brother has a lot of fancy openers (I've personally bought two of them), but only puts the restaurant kind out at family events - I think it makes him feel superior when the rest of us can't free the cork!
I would LOVE to hear the speech that convinced people they should buy you a car. Awesome.
I want some wine! Do you remember my favorite wine opener...a brick wall at Darla's appt.
I find the school thing interesting, because we're kind of the same in our house. Hubs went public and wants LD to go private. I went private, and am leaning public. Oh the DICHOTOMY!
Post a Comment