Monday, January 14, 2008

Three Things of Questionable Interest

Three Things:

  • I know in theory the cancellation of the Golden Globes was sad and we missed out on all the drunken celebrities and the outfits and whatnot, but I cannot be the only one who sort of LIKED the abbreviated let's-just-read-the-winners-done-and-DONE format. No awkward, long, boring speeches! No fake suspense by drunken presenters! It was like watching the show on fast-forward. AWESOME. Just let the celebrities get drunk AT HOME, like everyone else.


  • In my ongoing effort to cut Wal*Mart et al. completely out of my life, I decided to get a Costco membership this year instead of a Sam's Club membership (You: Oh my GOD, who cares?). First of all, I doubt sincerely that I'm getting my money's worth out of a WHOLESALE WAREHOUSE membership for our family of THREE. We DO buy all of our meat in bulk and BR has a considerable Gatorade habit that must be maintained by the case, but still. If I was willing to do the record-keeping, WHICH I'M NOT, I think I would find that we don't save the $50 membership fee in a year's time. It's psychological with me, though. I like OPTIONS. Second of all, I was bummed to find that I didn't feel any higher-brow in Costco. I had been working under the assumption that Costco was like creme brulee to Sam's Club's Jello No-Bake Cheesecake in a box! BAH. Another bourgeois illusion created to keep down the proletariat.


  • In my post last week about maternity pictures, several of you wondered if I had any cheesy, glowing, two-hands-making-a-heart-on-the-belly shots. SIGH. Not really, although we did take one where BR is standing behind me WITH HIS SHIRT OFF, which unfortunately I have not been authorized to publish on the World Wide Webs. Listen, the only reason I took the pictures to begin with was to placate BR. I wouldn't let him take those weekly belly shot deals and he was beginning to feel there was a certain lack of Recordkeeping taking place. Which was fine by me, but you know The Way of the Fussypants. If you haven't kept a detailed record, then IT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN. Anyway, here is one pose I DID think was cute, and one of the few that was Tessie Approved:

There. Happy? I like this picture because BR had to stick out his belly, which he is never For in pictures, while I got to lean way back and therefore minimize mine. I think we came out about even, don't you? I won't tell BR you said so.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I signed up for my Costco membership several years ago I went with my friend Debbie. I should also mention that we were living just south of San Francisco at the time. Anyway, we claimed to be "partners" and signed up for a family membership together. We each paid $25, cutting the cost in half.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the Golden Globes. I'm kind of hoping they do the same thing for the Oscars too - am I un-American or something? I end up FF through over half of the crap in those shows anyway. I just want to know who won and move on. I'm particularly bad since having a kid - now I see maybe one nominated film a year because on our few date nights I'd rather seen fun diverting movies than "serious films." So if they cancel the Oscars I don't think I'll care...

Anonymous said...

Costco has good prices on diapers. That's pretty much why we keep our membership. That and detergent.

Christina Schmidt said...

I agree about all award shows. The only thing good to come of them would be to check out who looks like crap and who looks hot - which is to say that is sad insight into my mind...

I wish we had a Costco so I could cut out all dealing with Wal-mart related dealings but Sam's Club is all we have. And while we mostly buy products like TP and diapers (when we needed them) it was worth it. However I too went to Costco recently and was surprised at how much it was like Sam's Club. I remember it seeming far more posh back in the day then again I was 17 so what the hell did I know?!

OMG you are the cutest pregnant woman I think I have ever seen... I am all flabby and chunky looking with bad hair to boot. WOO is me ;)

Anonymous said...

AUGH! Cutest picture ever! Stop!

I have a classy Costco membership and yeah. I don't really know why it's considered "better" than Sam's. I only picked Costco because it was closer to my house, actually.

bananafana said...

I only get my Sam's membership when we need new tires. or a new computer. I didn't know Costco was supposed to be better so damn I'll have to switch
also I don't like you today because my belly looks that big when NOT pregnant but whatever . . . I won't do pregnancy pictures because I don't need professional pictures of me in yoga pants. my poor children

Flibberty said...

First off, that picture is adorable. You already knew that.

Secondly, I miss Costco. I had a membership for a year in Billings. My friend put me on as her "life-partner." No I was not gay, but it was a way to scam the system, and I'm all about scamming corporate America. Anyway, it was great because you could buy HUGE amounts of delicious cheeses for great prices, and Brett and I often go through an alarming amount of cheese.

Anonymous said...

I think I've missed something here.....but WHY, OH WHY? would you want to cut yourself off from Wal-Mart? I love Wal-Mart!

I can't WAIT to have a Super Wal-Mart at my fingertips when I move back to America. You don't know how lucky you are. *sigh*

Saly said...

I know on the Golden Globes!! No stupid lifetime achievement awards! Blah Blah!

We have a BJ's membership and it saved me a bunch on diapers and detergent...oh and formula when we had to start supplementing--that was a biggie. Plus I get a discount from work where it is like, $30 for 15 months. Also, canned veggies because God forbid Hubs eats anything that is fresh. And I think I told you how much I like a stacked pantry!!

Also, I LOVE that photo. Hubs has a belly on him and never thought that it would be fun to compare. Maybe I can convince him this time.

Farrell said...

1)I HATE award shows
2)My mom LOVES Costco and goes there all the time, even though she only needs to feed herself and my step-dad.
3)I think I might have ONE picture of me pregnant. That's it. Barf. Why take a pic of me at my fattest? Oh, wait - that's now! Also, my then-hubby was none-too pleased with how fast I showed, etc. He was um, obviously, NOT into it.

-R- said...

Oh man. I fear that when I am pregnant my husband will be very similar to yours. Except with a Minnesooota accent. Must record everything. Bah!

You two are definitely even in that picture.

Sarah said...

That is adorable! But I want to know how far along you were in that picture- all of my pictures after about six months feature giant stretch marks wrapping around my hips!

Tess said...

DH-I'm a little over 7 months...so I definitely got bigger than that, but not THAT much bigger since I had AD a month early. I do have stretch marks, but none of them are on my belly or hips (ASS, I'M LOOKING AT YOU).

Jess said...

I DO think you're about even, actually, AND I love the photo because you guys are SO CUTE.

Also... I agree with you about the whole fast-forward things, but oh, the tragedy of the lack of red carpet dresses to make fun of!

Anonymous said...

Costco rules. We have a Sam's Club 5 minutes from us and Costco 30 minutes - we have a Costco membership! (actually we have Sam's too, but only through husband's work). Costco seems nicer to me! However, I doubt we get our money's worth (except I did buy a digital camera for a good price), because detergent actually works out cheaper when the 100oz bottles go on sale at Target for $3.00. Diapers are cheaper at Babies R Us when they have coupons. Soda is never cheaper there. Ok, why do I go? Oh yeah, they do have good salmon and stuff like that.

cute photo!

artemisia said...

Love the picture! Too fun.

Yes, I am was thrilled that there were no long, ridiculous awards shows. I hate to admit it, but I was a little sad not to have pictures of pretty dresses to look at.

I would think buying diapers in bulk could save quite a bit... ??

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Yes, Yes, I am very happy now, thank you. Your bellies are so cute (TINY) and they're kissing (*awwwwww*).

Anonymous said...

That is such a funny picture. I love that he was trying to get you to do belly shots and you wouldn't. I think for a lot of people, it's the other way around. Or at least it is for me, and that = a lot of people.

Anonymous said...

Er, in that the GIRL wants the BOY to take photos, and the BOY is reluctant and sighing. Not that the girl wants to take pictures of the boy's expanding belly.

email said...

So with you on the Golden Globes! Also, I like Costco better than BJ's (do you have those in TX), but haven't been to a Sam's in a while. LOVE that picture!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about the Golden Globes and I'm hoping the Oscars go the same.

We also have the Costco membership (the executive level, no less where you "get money back" because they talked my hubby into it) and we're lucky if we go to Costco once a month. I mean, I love to get a metric ton of toilet paper at once and eliminate any chance my husband will "accidentally" leave me without, but who has storage space for all that stuff?

& you are adorable pregnant.

Anonymous said...

I still love my Costco way more than my old Sam's experience. I'm going to be a snobby bitch now and say this: our Costco has far, far, far fewer of the Shockingly Obese families walking around with FLATS instead of SHOPPING CARTS. And when I say Shockingly Obese, I don't mean the kind that need to shed some pounds, I mean the kind that can't get around by walking.

There, I said it. I'll continue to be one of those bitches who thinks she's snobby by shopping at Costco instead of Sam's.

Stephanie said...

How FREAKING CUTE is that picture?! I love it. And I have never seen any cheesy, glowing, two-hands-making-a-heart-on-the-belly shots ever. Am now curious.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the picture... It's just such a unique take on the whole pregnancy photos idea...

Also, I didn't know about the Golden Globes, but I think it's a)hilarious and b)nice to just know who won...

Was it canceled b/c of the writers' strike?

constance the eleventh said...

The main reason I miss Costco over Sam's is THE CAKE OH MY GOD THE CAKE. Costco has the best cake ever and it's only something like $16 for a sheet big enough to cover your bed. You must get one the next time you have Any Sort of Gathering. They have pudding or custard or something in the middle.

But Sam's has those marinated mushrooms in a jar that I like.

And your bellies are cute. Very cute.

Katie said...

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH*
Stop the presses.

You are not even wearing MATERNITY pants at 7 months pregnant? I don't think my brain can process that thought.

Also, I had the same thought about the Golden Globes. Much better this way. I do like the early red carpet stuff. I think they should do all that stuff and then just cut to the press conference!

Katie said...

P.S. I also HATE HATE Walmart. My family calls it "The Evil Empire"....did you ever see the SouthPark where they all hate Walmart but keep shopping there anyway? That is kind of like me, unfortunately.

Jess said...

I'm totally with Katie on the maternity pants issue. Good grief! At this point in my first pregnancy total strangers were approaching me on the street and congratulating me on having twins. Bitchin...

That aside, the picture's adorable.

Erin said...

WHOA. Cutest pregnancy picture EVER.

I'm secretly (ok, not so secretly) happy to hear Costco is not that much better than Sams. We have a free Sams membership through some questionable false (or at least long-dead) business of my bro-in-law's, so whatever. But still, I wondered what we were missing out on in the world of gluttonous consumerism. Like, what if Costco sold tootsie roll pops in BARRELS instead of two-square-foot boxes like Sams. Think of all that SUCKER I'd be missing.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I have Costco AND BJ's. We don't have a Sam's Club around here, but I'd probably join that, too. They all have different things that are cheaper.

For example, my local Costco carries only Huggies and Kirkland (their brand) diapers. When Ducky was in diapers, I only liked Pampers Cruisers, which I could only find at BJ's.

I mainly shop at Costco. Because it's closer to my house. Also, I can't help but make blowjob jokes about BJ's. Because I am 12.

Laura said...

That picture left me all teary eyed, it's that sweet to look at. I love the laughter and relaxed atmosphere of it all. I let my Sam's Club membership go, due to its being owned by Walmart, but I kept my Costco. Only, I've recently discovered we don't need as much as we used to so it's almost painful to shop there.

loni said...

Oh hush, Tess. You have the tiniest ass EVER.