
Of course, as soon as she told me I threw back my head and brayed like a donkey, all, "Oh, do you rinse out your Ziploc bags, too? HAHAHAHA *snort*!". Result: *crickets chirp*...*earth-ruiner accusatory glare*. Sigh.
Seriously, though. COME ON. If I receive a shitload of comments from people who do this, I will reevaluate my position, but until then: FUCK THAT.
ATTENTION FUSSYPANTSES: I'm not talking about the rare and precious "SIGN HERE" flags. Those I can MAYBE see saving, IN AN EMERGENCY, if I don't think too much about it, and also am several beers in.

43 comments:
At my last job, I went through a pack of those little flags every two days or so and my company INSISTED we try to reuse them because they were SO EXPENSIVE but I routinely just threw the ones I'd already used into the trash.
However, I admit that if I wipe Asher's nose these days, I go ahead and blow my nose on the same Kleenex before throwing it away. Is that wrong? I already know it's gross, so you don't have to answer that one for me.
heLLO... The Workplace is paying for them. Waste all you want. Steal some, even. Saving? Meh, not so much.
I wish people in our office would reuse them because I can NEVER FIND THEM when I need them (which is hourly).
My mom still brings home scrap paper from work to write on.
And my grandmother used to wash plastic baggies, and according to my dad, paper plates. I don't even know how that is possible.
Sadly I'm staring at my computer monitor, which happens to be framed by half a billion "re-usable" tape flags. You see, I take them off the document I'm done with and stick them to my computer for future use. FYI, our IT lady thinks I'm "bad" for doing this to the monitor. Whatev.
My aunt used to wash those thin plastic throw-away cups. Isn't the point to NOT have so many dishes to clean after a family function?
My MIL used to iron wrapping paper, still saves the bows off packages, and even used the wrapping paper from her wedding gifts to LINE HER DRAWERS. Now there is a recycler.
I don't even reuse plastic water bottles, most of the time. I'm horrible. And I'd probably toss those little flags without even thinking.
I did buy some new, supposedly more environmentally friendly dispoable diapers, though! Go me!
Emily-I've totally given up on trying to separate my germs from AD's. No point. Today I even wiped her nose, folded the tissue over and CLEANED MY GLASSES WITH GLASS CLEANER, and THEN wiped my own nose.
P&D-My question is: if you DO save them, where do you put them? It's not like you can get them back into the little dispenser. The only solution has to be STICK THEM TO YOUR DESK, and my desk looks like an old lady's attic AS IT IS.
My sisters-in-law save and re-use plastic ware. I realize that a lot of people do this, but to them I say, "SO THEN WHAT'S THE POINT?!"
Whenever I am going through a document to check that all updates have been made I make a little stack of the little flags, thinking I might re-use them. Then, after two days of looking at this disorderly stack my OCD kicks in and I pitch it in the trash.
I can't imagine reusing plastic baggies. Instead, I am trying to use Rubbermaids or even glass containers more often. It is slow going, though.
I occasionally reuse the flags, but only if for some reason I have to take all the flags of the document. Otherwise, when I recycle the document, the flags go into the recycle bin too. They probably aren't supposed to go in there, but I'm not going to take the time to peel them all off!
-R--Oh man, you should see how I am with things that go in the shred box, which ALLEGEDLY cannot contain staples or paper clips or (OH DEAR) binder clips. Either it's total BS, or they've not yet traced any unshreddable documents back to me.
Hey Tessie! "Darla" passed along your blog to me and I love reading it (you actually met my husband Bryan at their wedding). But I digress...I have to admit (sadly) that I reuse my flags. Yep, I'm an attorney for the state so supplies are always in demand! We go through lots of records that require tabs so it's easier to reuse them. :) Just wanted to throw in my reason so perhaps you won't think all recyclers are crazy and sometimes there is a good reason (or sort of a good reason).
My coworker at my last job used to do this and it DROVE ME CRAZY. He would pull them off the pages, stack them quickly and messily and then expect me to reuse them. They lose the sticky side after too many usages dude.
That is great how your coworker is trying to leave a smaller carbon footprint.
I suppose if I was the one paying for the flags I might be more apt to save them - but as it is, Tessie's right: there's no good place to put the little buggers. And if you leave them too long stuck to any plastic surface (in my experience), they leave a sticky residue behind. Yuck.
Oh HELL NO. I work in a huge law firm, so Post-It flags are in abundance. Trash, trash, trash.
Trash, trash, trash! I am also guilty of putting all sorts of "no-no's" in the shred boxes. Are you surprised?
My MIL has been saving SD's breakfast that she didn't eat, really? I usually throw it away that night, sometimes I give it to her again. Or she saves the three bites of applesauce she didn't finish, although we have a Sam's size jar in the fridge!
I don't reuse those flag things because I do not use them in first place BUT I do reuse plastic baggies. AND have been trying to find ways so I do not even need to use the baggies (like glass/plastic tupperware & most recently wax bags that are more earth friendly.)
I reuse just about everything that can be reused/re purposed. Scrape paper until it is falling apart with notes and than I recycle everything that cannot be reused and I try not to use things that need to thrown away.
I am FREAK like that... sigh.
I reuse them. Because I work for the government, and we get new office supplies once every 3 years. My desk? Was made by prisoners.
Oh, I forgot: my mom also saves wrapping bows. And by "save" I mean she hovers over you as you open the gift so she can snatch the bow back. I get even by never using bows on my presents.
She also saves any kind of good box that can be used for Christmas presents, especially check boxes.
My dad has to deal with a precariously stacked pile of boxes filled with bows down in the basement, located perilously close to their wood stove.
The only thing I reuse (sometimes) are the bags for the vacuum sealer...but sometimes they're too tough to wash and I forget it.
I was raised by a mother who saved EVERYTHING - tissue paper from gifts, ziploc baggies, tin foil, you name it. It annoyed me so much that I save nothing. Especially when she's around, I make a purpose of throwing things out, even things that I would probably otherwise safe. That's kinda mean, isn't it?
Totally save. BUT please keep in mind this is coming from the biggest PACK-RAT in the history of PACK-RATS. Also, I used to collect STATIONARY as a child. And I'm obsessed with clips of any time.
I am a conscientious waster. I don't save shit.
I would reuse a ziploc bag if it had had something non-organic in it, like pens or hairclips but food bags? No way. You can't get those bags clean. Yuck.
Have I ever told you how cheap Hub is? He rinses out our ziplocks and FREAKS when I throw some leftover bread or something in one of the heavy freezer bags. THE WASTE! I have to compare him to his grandmother, who washed her tin foil and reuses it.
i don't use the normal flags, just the "sign here" ones, which i do reuse to an extent.. like, i'll receive a document with the flags on it, get the signature, then stick the flag on my phone. then i use them on my own documents when i need to remind myself of something. i'm really not sure why i do this, since i also have 2 packages of open ones sitting on my desk, available for use.
Hey SLYNNRO me too. I work for the government and so office supplies are a gigantic hassle to get, so I hoard. (Also my desk was made by prisoners, but that's not the point of my comment).
However, I tend to use the paper colored flags so that when I dump an entire document in the recycling bin, I figure they can be recycled too since they are paper - right???
I've tried to cut down on my use of those plastic baggies. More tupperwear, less baggie guilt. I should never have seen An Inconvenient Truth, freakin' guilt is killing me (evidently, also should not have been raised Catholic so would not be so susceptible to guilt).
I save stuff most people probably do: gift bags, bows, shit like that. Also, I cannot throw away those damn binder clips. I CAN'T DO IT. I have a drawer full of them at work.
I have one little hoarding issue with this mechanical pencils at work. THEY'RE SO NICE. I love them. I have FIVE of them. When I get one, I don't let anyone borrow it. I squirrel them away and pull them out when I'm doing something important that might be prone to error and in need of correction. Makes me feel all mad scientist when actually I'm just a government biologist who doesn't get out enough.
I save stuff most people probably do: gift bags, bows, shit like that. Also, I cannot throw away those damn binder clips. I CAN'T DO IT. I have a drawer full of them at work.
I have one little hoarding issue with this mechanical pencils at work. THEY'RE SO NICE. I love them. I have FIVE of them. When I get one, I don't let anyone borrow it. I squirrel them away and pull them out when I'm doing something important that might be prone to error and in need of correction. Makes me feel all mad scientist when actually I'm just a government biologist who doesn't get out enough.
Save them? Please, I am too cheap to buy them as is every work place I've worked in since they came out (non-profits never have fun office supplies).
I take regular post its and cut them into 4 or 5 "flags". How pathetic am I? The only use I have for them at home is usually marking cookbooks or magazines for a recipe I want to revisit.
My ex mother in law used to save the styrofoam trays that meat comes on and reuse them. I used to get so grossed out when she would give me left overs on one wrapped - all I could think of was the chicken cooties that would never come out of such a porous material.
I don't like to throw things away but it never even occurred to me to save the flags. and baggies? ew no. I only reuse the bags that have our batteries in them (because I can't stand having the boxes in our junk drawer but that is a whole other story)
Wow- thats actually, really, really strange...I don't believe in that. Don't support it at all. weird.
I read this post and threw my head back and brayed like a donkey.
My sister is a total EARTH SAVER. Cloth diapers, florescent light bulbs, cloth napkins...the works.
I. um. gave up paper plates.
Counts for something, right?
Tessie:
You totally crack me up!
Happy Friday.
My mom washes out her ziploc bags.
*rolls eyes*
I HAD TO DO THAT at my last job because those things were incredibly rare. I think someone was hoarding the new packs every time they came in. In my new job they are plentiful and thus I use them only once.
This whole thing is just hilarious. I dated a guy in college whose Mom washed ziplocs. But she layed them over her paper-towel holder to dry. I was thinking, "You're wasting a paper towel to save a plastic bag? You're WACKO."
When I worked, I inherited a desk that was pre-filled with lots of crap for me! And I had a whole drawer of these things. Which in 4 years I never ever used. I think I used one as a bookmark once. Then when I left I came home with them because I thought they were cool looking. And a few weeks ago I was cleaning my desk and realized I hadn't used them in all that time, so I gave them to the children, who were entertained for a good 3 hours sticking those things everywhere. If I could re-use them to give myself another 3 hours off I would.
I used to save them too. Also I strive to reuse ziplocs, but most of the time I am too lazy to wash and deal with the drying process, and I feel bad about that.
My Aunt is a SERIOUS Fusspants. She washes the ziplock bags, she irons and re-wraps with chirstmas paper, uses old christmas cards as tags, re-uses tea bags...I am sure that she re-uses the little post it tabs.
My in-laws on the other hand, buy heavy plastic tumblers to use at the beach only to throw them away at the end of the week.
*brayed like a donkey*
I lost it.
lmfao
d
Post a Comment