Well, here I am rotting away online while everyone else is waving merrily from their horse-drawns sleighs on their way to Grandma's house.
One of the higher-ups here at work has the unfortunate habit of reminding everyone that the day before a holiday is "just another workday!", which...well, it's a bit of a downer, I must say. I'll be here next week, as well, even though it appears that none of YOU will, so don't ask me how the hell I am expected to fill my day. If you are looking for someone to peer review your 500-page manifesto, next week might be a good time, is all I'm saying.
Anyway, we are not totally skipping Christmas, although I can see how you may have gotten that impression from some of my recent posts. We aren't traveling this year, despite the straight up AWESOME time we had last year when AD contracted RSV en route to Minnesota, but we will be 1)opening presents 2)eating and 3)drinking, so sounds like Christmas to me!
Here are the Christmas-related thoughts I can summon:
- Every time I hear "Joy to the World", I feel happy. This was always the last hymn sung at the Christmas Eve mass I attended as a kid. Of course, back then we were mostly full of joy at the thought of opening presents. This also reminds me of the time my sister was asked what her favorite part of mass was, and she said, "the part where they say 'This mass is ended'".
- Speaking of The Big Guy, BOSSY has a post up about the origin of "Jesus H. Christ", which is a favorite in my potty-mouthed family. You read BOSSY don't you? You should read BOSSY.
Well, it turns out that's about all I have. Except for this:
Happy Holidays! Help us!

27 comments:
I'll be here all week - only get tuesday off because GOD FORBID the deposit wait one day. I wish I could be drinking - it isn't christmas without drinking!
Your fake Rotti is being all fake Santa, too. I love it!
Enjoy your presents AND DRINKING and your family AND DRINKING.
That's a darn cute puppy. Nice on the matching hats!
I'll be here too. But I won't be blogging, probably. Oh wait...I'll have one entry, I think. But you don't know who I am, so I guess that doesn't help.
And now I sound like I'm stalking. Merry Christmas! Close the drapes!
Anon-Well, I hope I read your blog then! Send me an email if you don't think I do so I don't miss your post.
Fine! I'll start reading BOSSY! (You're right, her Jesus H. Christ post was super funny.)
Also, your puppies are cute! (Is the little one fake or something? I gathered that from one of your other commenters.)
Merry Christmas!
I HAAAATE people who take a bad thing (being at work today) and make it worse ("just another work day!"). It is NOT just another day, it is the day before vacation.
I just popped my manifesto in the mail to you for some proofing. Thanks.
I'm working today too. And next week. And the week after that. And the week after that.
But then, I'm taking FOUR DAYS OFF.
Just because. (Because all the other coworkers will be back and I'll be sick of taking care of all their work, and then I can say, "See ya, suckers!")
I just read that Jesus H Christ post. I HAD NO IDEA.
My favorite part of the Mass was always the Our Father, because that meant communion was drawing nigh and as soon as communion was over we could go HOME. I know. Straight to hell with me.
Love the dog photo!!!
Sigh, I have to agree with your sister about the favorite part of mass esp when I went to private school where I learned little other than how to sit quietly in church. SUCKAGE.
Sorry I won't be around much next week to enjoy your company. I am one of those annoying people who does not have to work but all chirpy like our boss says the same thing about today. Production, blah, get your numbers up, blah blah blah... I stopped listening about two weeks ago.
Happy Holidays!
Just the other night when I was writing Christmas cards (yay!) and Joy to the World came on I started singing (BADLY) and exclaimed to A., "This is always the last song at Christmas mass! It always makes me so happy!" At which point his Lutheran self recoiled, because I said MASS.
Funny!
I am sorry you don't have more time off; that is really heartless of private industry. I've been spoiled by all the time off in non-profits, to be sure. But I wonder what the hell a real paycheck would look like!
Merry Christmas!!!
P.S. The pups are adorable!
Oooo, I HATE that "just another work day!" thing. Teachers say that kind of thing, too: "It's just another school day!" It's so PATRONIZING, and WET-BLANKETY, and also demonstrates a complete disconnect from reality. The days before Christmas are NOT "just days" and everyone knows it. Saying otherwise means the boss/teacher is a big ass who wants to make people feel bad.
Mimi-She's not fake as in...PLASTIC or whatever. I did a post a few weeks ago about how we got her and how we THOUGHT she was a Rottie when really she is a Shepard. So we call her a Fake Rottie.
So yesterday when I was frantically last minutes shopping with all the other slackers in central MN I came across a board game shop which happened to have....PAYDAY!!! Almost teared up a little. I will think of you at Mass....Blah.
i'm here at work, too. and i'll be here at work next week. LAME. TEH SUCK. POUT.
heeeee i love the dogs
Slim-I hope you BOUGHT it, for the love of god. Good times. I seem to remember a text message from you about what to get mom that I meant to respond to but never did. Sorry about that. I hope you consider comments on my blog an acceptable form of sisterly communication since that's all you seem to get.
It's nice to know I'm not the ONLY ONE working today. And Monday. AND ON INTO INFINITY. I was feeling lonely.
Did you guys really play Payday??? MY SISTER AND I TOTALLY PLAYED PAYDAY. Such an awesome game, I have no idea why, but we LOVED IT.
And about the teacher thing? And today being "just another day"? Dude - they have PARTIES, like ALL DAY (for the entire HALF DAY THAT THEY'RE THERE)! My nieces & nephews have made it very clear to me that the day before vacation is a PARTY DAY. There is no learning involved, other than "How to Eat Cookies".
I didn't because I had already bought 4 games and I couldn't carry anymore...but I'll try to go back after X-mas.
Love the picture! Merry Christmas!!!
Okay, I never NEVER laugh at the dog pictures (because I am heartless, I guess?) ... but that one I actually Laughed out loud.
Well done.
The Mass is ended. I love your sister now, too.
That's a great picture of the dogs. Merry Christmas and good decision on the no traveling.
I always hate being one of the last workers in the office before a holiday. It always spooks me out. I think that's a great lot of cheer you were able to summon while stuck at the office! happy holidays.
I worked today. Technically. Well, from home. So more "work" than work if you know what I mean.
Anyway, I need help with my MA English exit papers, doesn't that sound like fuN?
I am DEEPLY SORRY about the working thing. I am one who at heart would be happy if we celebrated every single Saint's Day and every holiday for every nationality and religion in the world. And if there were presents and time off work and parties for all of them. Happy Fourth, here's your diamond earrings- now go hit that open bar!, etc. So the idea of being made to WORK on the day before the day before Christmas Eve...? Sacreligious.
I am having a difficult time dealing with it all. We put up a tree in Nicole's hospital room and it just all seems so sucky. But James is excited so that helps. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.
I'll be here next week. And a manifesto? Perhaps...
Post a Comment