Friday, November 16, 2007

The Protector

I hadn't taken one of those Myers-Brigg dealies in a while, but I did it again today upon the urging of Blacksheeped. I'm an INFJ (Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging). I think the most interesting (?)(fuck off, it's Friday!)(FUIF!) thing about being an INFJ is that only 1% of people fall under this type. This makes so much sense to me because I don't feel like I ever really meet people who share my particular bizarre mix of traits, and because I am often assigned personality traits incorrectly. I am an accountant, so I must be a detail-oriented fussypants! I have a sense of humor and like to have fun so I must be an extrovert! I like math and analytics so I must be an antisocial tool! NO ONE GETS ME, MAN! Heh.

The most common misconception about me, by far, is that I'm an extrovert. Reading the summaries of the INFJ personality type, this one really struck me:

INFJs are protective of their inner selves, sharing only what they choose to share when they choose to share it. They are deep, complex individuals who are quite private and typically difficult to understand.

That is it, exactly. I have often said that about 75% of the things that go through my head never come out of my mouth. I share only what I WANT to share, and I am careful to pick and choose the times and places in which I share it. What this boils down to is that I'm pretty good at faking extroversion when the occasion calls for it. And if you know me well enough, I probably am genuinely extroverted around you, at times. But only because I have put the situation through a complex series of analytical tools and determined that it's appropriate.

Incidentally, this character trait is BR's number one beef with me. He's an ENTJ (I call him The Steamrollah!). 100% of the things that go through his head, and some things that DON'T, come out of his mouth. He sees my "internal censorship" as secrecy. But then again, I see his LACK of censorship as...BEGGING FOR AN ASS-KICKING, so I guess we're even. Us INFJs sort of avoid the ass-kicking scene. We don't really even want to be in the general area where ass-kickings may or may not be taking place at some unnamed future time.

Blogging is perfect for an INFJ. I am free to talk about the things I choose here, and I reveal more than I would to any one of your faces in a lifetime of conversations, but I'm still me. This blog is exactly what I'm like on the inside. But not always on the outside.

45 comments:

LoriD said...

If I recall correctly, I am an INTJ, but what you described (about only revealing what you want) is totally me. My friend who is into astrology blames this on me being a Scorpio (stubborn, private). I agree that blogging is perfect for this type of personality.

Tess said...

Lori-I'm curious about your husband...is he the same way? How does he feel about you being a private person?

Anonymous said...

That's a long stinkin' test!

Anyhow, I came out as an ISFJ - Protector Guardian.

http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=2&c=protector

I know the "I" part might surprise you, but I can say that with age, I do know that I've become more introverted and happy with solitary time than I was as a youth. Now, I am SOOO bad about this, but I often commit to going out for a "do" but then ditch it to go home and sit on my couch instead. Why? I just can't be bothered to be honest with you.

And no doubt....I've always been a "Protector."

Sara said...

I did this too and came out as a ISFP or Introvert Sensing Feeling Percieving.

It is RIGHT ON!!! In that I sit back and take in situations before deciding if I will even react at all.

Anonymous said...

I didn't take the test--I've slacked off enough for one day, even factoring in that it's Friday and the week before Turkeymas--so I don't know what I am. But I'd say my percentage is more like 90-95%. In fact, there's so much going on that I don't say that usually I don't even realize nobody else knows what I'm doing or talking about.

Like, I'll be in situation A and I'll think "I should do B...except that C, on the other hand, D. And did you see the Es that F was wearing?" and then start on plan G. And everyone is all what are we doing and I'm all G, DUH! And they're like why and I'm like because of F, GET WITH THE PROGRAM and so forth.

That came out a little more specific than I meant, but anyway, I agree with your series of analytical tools comment. Speaking aloud is the method of last resort when information *must* be communicated.

Anonymous said...

Parts of it are on for me....and parts aren't.... :-(

Moderndayhermit said...

I am an INTJ. I find it interesting that I always get the same result no matter how long it has been since I last took the test. I am somewhat of a cynic, I guess.

Most people think I am not introverted but I am. Hence Moderndayhermit I suppose haha.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I'm also an INFJ. I just took it now, but even before I did, I knew that's what the result would be.

It doesn't surprise me. I'm a fake extrovert, too. There is a core of me that only I know. Although my husband knows more of me than anyone has.

Tess said...

Shannon-I read yours and I agree. You are definitely a Protector and I also laughed at the part about your Puritan work ethic. Maybe not the frugality part though. Heh.

TLA-It's the same for me. It's funny that this personality type is so rare because I think a lot of the "internet friends" that I am drawn to seem to have it.

Flibberty said...

I would dare to say that a lot of folks who have blogs are introverts or "fake extroverts." What do you guys think? This test told me I'm an extrovert, which I am, but maybe that's why my blogging is half assed and mostly about my dogs. Hmmm . . .

Tess said...

Flibberty-I totally agree. I think many extroverts, like my husband for example, don't "need" to blog, don't understand it, and don't get the same enjoyment out of it, because they already put their thoughts out there and get the "real-life" feedback on them.

Most of my blog entries are things that have gone through my head but that I would likely have never mentioned to anyone. Because of my blog, those thoughts are not "lost", and neither are the awesome, funny, and smart thoughts of the other introverts who blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm also an INFJ and at least one of my fairly good friends refuses to believe I'm not an extrovert. Really, it's an act and when I'm done entertaining everyone so they don't feel uncomfortable (god forbid) I'm all worn out. Luckily my husband is also an "I", so we pretty much crash together at home at the end of the day (although since he's also a "T" he doesn't understand why I bother to make other people feel comfortable. Stupid "F" trait.

Anonymous said...

There's a great free resource at www.INFJ.com

by the way, I wonder whether that ENTJ you're struggling with actually has preferences for ESTP? They are commonly confused since they are "lookalikes" in so many ways. Something to consider...

Tess said...

Anon-He definitely has some ESTP characteristics, but the ENTJ is DEAD ON for him. Could not be more accurate.

artemisia said...

You are an enigma, wrapped in a riddle...where the hell is that from?

Misty said...

Heh. I am just like you. INFJ. I used to be an INTJ. I think marriage and the family changed the T to an F.

Go figure. 1% of the population, you say, huh?

LoriD said...

My husband and I really couldn't be more different... he sounds a lot like BR. He's a "go hard or go home" kind of guy. It drives him nuts that I'm private and a little secretive, that I love an evening at home with close friends better than going to some big bash. Somehow it works though!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to double check at home, but both the husband and I took the complete Myers Brigg thing earlier this year (thanks to his graduate program). I am almost postive I am ISFJ (shocked??) and I took the version you linked to and that is what I came up with. Pretty dead on for me. I don't remember DH's though...I do know he was an E and T though. I will look this weekend.

I think stuff like this is SO cool. I had to take a different one at work this summer and the results are very detailed and I was almost scared at how accurate it was.

Erin said...

When I read this, I was like, yep, that is Tess! I have never taken one of those, wonder what I am?

Anonymous said...

I'm an ISFJ and I wholeheartedly agree with your comment on introverts and blogging.

And I need to have Jason take this test because I can almost guarantee he is the exact opposite of me.

Tess said...

It's funny, when it comes to relationships they say that the most important thing is that you and your partner share the N/S letter (how you communicate). The other letters are less important.

Anonymous said...

I'm an INFJ and I've often wondered how many bloggers are INFJs too. I hear you on the extrovert thing. And I know it says only 1% of the population is INFJ, but a couple different groups I'm in are full of them. Maybe we attract each other!

Tess said...

Maggie-That is so interesting, because I have found that I almost NEVER encounter other INFJs in real life, yet my "blog life" seems to be full of them. Case in point, you are the FOURTH INFJ to comment, and I don't have THAT many readers.

The lack of INFJs in my real life is partially due to my profession and the nature of my non-work hobbies (e.g. running).

Stephanie said...

I think it's interesting that you are an introvert who is cautious and protective of your inner self, yet you share it with, potentially, the entire world on a daily basis. Anyhow, no matter what combination of letters you are, keep sharing!

MaryB said...

ISTJ. I wasn't sure about it until I read the long form description - It was frighteningly accurate and even made me laugh out loud and then cry at what a raw deal my children get out of having an ISTJ for a mother. The ISTJ also explains why I can never seem to stop voluteering for crap I don't really want to be in charge of.

As for the Extrovert/Introvert debate - a therapist friend of mine once explained to me that this part of your personality has very little to do with how you perform in social situations, but rather how you "recharge your batteries" after a long or bad day. I like to go home and recollect myself. An extrovert wants to go to happy hour and blow off some steam first.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

In college, I was an INTJ. I just re-took the test and it says I'm an ISFJ. I've either changed a lot or am answering the questions differently for some other reason.

I feel this burning need to change back-- this new classification puts me with Mother Theresa and George H.W. Bush. I'll say no more.

Tess said...

CBHM-Yeah, well, JESUS was an INFJ, so beat that! Look for the What Would Tessie Do? bracelets in the sidebar soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm a ENTJ too! I guess I'd get along with your hubby. Or maybe we'd piss each other off for being so bossy. I prefer to be called Field Marshal rather than Steamrollah. I'm much more diplomatic in what I say. Definitely feel you on the private/public thing. There's stuff that's private and then there's public domain stuff. The private stuff is pretty darn private but you'd probably never know there was all this private stuff, cuz I.. y'know.. keep it to myself. I think I must be getting more extroverted in my old (cough, weeze) age. Or else I just don't care what people think anymore, which I think definitely qualifies me as old, or grumpy.

Whimsy said...

I'd totally wear a What Would Tessie Do bracelet. Sign me up!

I'm an INFJ too... it's interesting to hear you say that what you present on your blog is so much more of your insides than your outsides (paraphrasing here!). Which I totally understand. So many times, I'm reading these blogs, thinking that these people must be so incredibly outgoing, so outrageous - then you hear then say, they're shy - they aren't normally like this, etc. Gives me hope to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the fun! I LOVE personality test thingies.

MaryB said...

I missed the famous persons!

Biblically - Thomas - the doubting one.

And, CBHM - you're in luck, it looks like Dubya is an ISTJ not an INFJ. As is Donald Rumsfeld. (God help me!)

Anonymous said...

Where be my ESFJ bitches?

email said...

Like maryb, I am an ISTJ, but unlike her, I NEVER volunteer for anything. :) I see that Eeyore is also an ISTJ, and he is by far the best Pooh character. His pessimistic sarcasm is SO misunderstood. Also Warren Buffett and J.D. Rockefeller, so maybe there's hope for me in the financial department.

Anonymous said...

I totally want a WWTD bracelet

Anonymous said...

I totally want a WWTD bracelet

Black Sheeped said...

What's weird, is that I frequently find myself surrounded by members of the less common Myers Briggs types. Maybe my type (ENFP, the messy emotional excitable one) is just drawn to them, but I know INTJ's and INFJ's are not prevalent types. And yet, I've known (and been pretty close) to so many of you INF/TJ's.

If I had thought about it, I would have guessed you as this type because of your mentions of "nervous tummy." My type is pretty obvious, since I start most sentences with "YOU GUYS I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT..."

I LOVE THIS CRAP.

bananafana said...

funny - I'm INFJ too (told you I'm a total follower) and also an accountant (and also "lazy"). I've never met any others and always thought it was cool that I was a little different but you guys are TOTALLY BLOWING THAT for me. Do you have the intuitive part of all this?

Anonymous said...

I'm an ENFJ, just like Abe Lincoln, John Cusak, Johnny Depp, and - wait for it - OPRAH.

Banana said...

me and libby and oprah are peas in a pod.

Jess said...

ISFP

Farrell said...

I got ESFJ but I think before I had ENFJ and also I'm still drunk.
:) Most of it seems right. But I think one of my BFFs should take it for me; it would prob. be more accurate that way.

Anonymous said...

The quiz tells me I am ESFJ (extroverted - by like 1 percent - sensing, feeling, judging). Mostly it says I'm a sensy-feely person. Eh. I think I am also a fake extrovert. I can go out and socialize, but it's hard for me to be comfortable, and I always need down time afterwards.

Laura said...

I was afraid to take it, but I finally gave in. I am an ISFP-Introverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving. I think that is me for right now, at this point in my life. I think there is too much going on for me to get a true reading. Or is that stupid sounding? The article by Joe Butt kind of freaked me out a little bit when I got to these words,"The ISFP who continually represses these impulses feels 'dead inside' and may eventually cut and run." Because that is exactly what I feel like doing every morning. Yeesh. And, at the risk of going on and on and extending your comments section, I had a bunch of WWLD-What would Leonard Do? bracelets made up based on something my brother said about him and your "What would Tessie Do?" made me smile and wonder how my husband would have scored. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

Jess said...

I am an ENFJ, which is just like you except without the privacy thing and the hard to understand thing. But I totally feel what you mean. And I love how you sum up your blog in your last sentence.

wnzdazchld said...

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I tested as an INFJ too (ok, shamelessly jumping on the bandwagon). That has to explain why, after stumbling on your blog last weekend, I read all of your postings while laughing my butt off. While I can't claim to understand your disdain for Texas (I used to live outside of Houston. Now I'm stuck in Columbus,OH, sigh.), I have to LOVE your outlook on life. You are hilarious, Tessie!

Emily said...

Delurking to say I took the test and I too am and INFJ. I love the paragraph you used in your post to describe INFJ. That is exactly how I am, but never put it into words that way.