Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hittin' the Sauce

I noticed that my Starbucks receipt this morning listed my Pumpkin Spice Latte as "Latte...add pumpkin sauce". Pumpkin sauce? Really? I picture pumpkin sauce as...something I would not like to have in my coffee. People, this happened hours ago, and I cannot get over it. It keeps popping up, like blahblahblahworkyaccountingshitPUMPKIN SAUCE. WHAT THE FUCK IS PUMPKIN SAUCE? Please don't let it be something...porny! I cannot shake the image of a festive, grinning jack-o-lantern performing unsavory acts on my coffee! Okay, I must walk this off. It's getting out of hand. I'm sure everything's kosher. RIGHT? Is this because of the Bitch-ista thing?

20 comments:

kirida said...

Would it have been better had it read "pumpkin juice"? Pumpkin spooge? Pumpkin magic? Okay, Mona. Enough.

Jess said...

Ew. That's disgusting. You would think that Starbucks, inventors of the tall, grande, and venti sizes, would be able to come up with some cutesy name for their pumpkin sauce that wasn't quite so icky.

Mary O said...

Ha ha... pumpkin SAUCE does evoke some unpleasant images. I hope it doesn't ruin the drink for you forever!

Christina Schmidt said...

Maybe this view of what said pumpkin sauce is will get the pumpkin image out of your head - also, you can buy this product right off eBay and a espresso maker and make you own at home if you SO desire ALL YEAR ROUND! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Starbucks-Pumpkin-Spice-Syrup-with-pump-Brand-New-Sauce_W0QQitemZ130163350616QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10795QQcmdZViewItem

Tess said...

Okay, I see that they officially call it "pumpkin syrup sauce" which seems...redundant and STILL WEIRD. I think if I was Chief Hipster of Starbucks I would call it SYRUP. Yes, that's what I would like it to be called.

Anonymous said...

Is pumpkin sauce what they get when they scrape off the pavement after kids smash people's jack-o-lanterns in the street?

Stephanie said...

All I can think of is the canned pumkin STUFF you use to make pumpkin pie. Yummy...

Pumpkin SYRUP would've been a little better.

Anonymous said...

I had a thing (way back in the day) for McDonald's "shakes." I found out that they didn't actually contain dairy, and I could never bring myself to eat (drink?) them again. But now they have reintroduced them as "milk shakes." Now with real dairy. Yum!

Anyway, completely off the topic as usual, but I hope your experience doesn't stop you from enjoying the latte goodness.

LoriD said...

Ew. "Sauce" is thick and pasty. "Syrup" is sweet and drippy. No sauce in my coffee, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Damn T!!! I just drank only the second full cup of coffee in my entire life last week and loved it - the pumpkin spice latte....and now I don't think I can have it again.

I agree - syrup is the right word to use. And I don't think I will get the mental image you so graciously described for us out of my mind.

Tess said...

C-Sorry dude. I should have issued a precautionary email on that one. The good news is, it is almost time for the Gingerbread and Peppermint Mochas. Perhpas those are SYRUP. If not, I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem with the Gingerbread Man.

artemisia said...

Dammit! Not only did I just get caught reading your site AGAIN, I also, very gracefully mind you, snorted coffee all over my brand spankin' new computer screen.

Oooh, Tessie!!

Anonymous said...

ACK!! Another bad mental image with gingerbread men!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Why don't they just put Pumpkin Spice Latte on the receipt? Surely we the customers do not need to know the secret inner workings.

stephanie said...

I just puked a little in my mouth. Ooooh maybe THAT's how they make the "sauce" ;)

Sara said...

eeew, sounds thing and gross.

Sara said...

and P.S.

I LOVE peppermint mocha time. they ususally come out about Vetran's Day. I'm waiting with baited and soon to be chocolatey minty breath!

Banana said...

puahaahahahahah!!!!!!!! porny pumpkin sauce. hee.

Flibberty said...

Sauce makes me think of booze (but really, what doesn't?) and therefore this concoction automatically sounds delicious to me. However, 9am may be a little to early to hit the sauce, pumpkin or not. Do they make any pumpkin flavored alcohol? Aside from beer? Something for me to investigate, clearly.

Anonymous said...

I am doubled over, dying with laughter, at your shared image of the jack-o-lantern shooting pumpkin sauce into your coffee. Thank you for making my day (er, night). Also, is there anything better than pumpkin SPICE in your coffee? I think not.