
I've definitely gotten better since getting married (BR is a total Fire Marshal Bill, all "you want to leave the door unlocked? LET ME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!" *produces bloody autopsy photos*), and especially since having AD. I mean, I am totally ready to strangle a rabid raccoon if necessary (did anyone else see this story and do the Mom Power Fist Pump? I think I actually exclaimed "HELL YEAH! HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW, RACCOON?").
My problem is that I never suspect the raccoon in the first place. I always give the raccoon the benefit of the doubt, like he is probably a tame raccoon, and even if he isn't tame he probably had a really hard racoonhood and we shouldn't judge him and go around being afraid just because we're not from the same species.
Do I chalk this up to growing up in a small town, to Minnesota Nice, or what? And why, after 11 years in large-ish cities, am I not completely grizzled and pepper spraying anyone who so much as looks at me?
*Were those "No Fear" shirts popular where you grew up? I remember we had dance team shirts (I know, dance team AND math team, I am an enigma wrapped in a mystery shrouded in sequined hot pants) that said "One Mistake is One Too Many...NO FEAR". Which, in retrospect, seems...a bit harsh.

15 comments:
That's funny. I grew up in Charleston, SC, and once flew up to Malvern, PA for training for my company. Some of the others and I decided to take the train into Philly and go eat at this place called Warmdaddy's, which was supposed to have great blues music and soul food. By the way, soul food just means fried something-or-other with a side of collard greens. Oh, and cornbread with chitlins. (I knew this already, but the others didn't. Surprise!) Anyway, we were lost, so I walked up to this guy on the street and asked directions. The other women I was with were appalled. They thought I was out of my mind because apparently I was unaware of the fact that in a big city people are attacked for absolutely no reason in a busy public place in broad daylight!!!
The No Fear shirts along with the shirts that changed color according to temperature . . . what were those things called?
I still fear that hypercolor (is that what they were called?) craze.
By the way, your dog could totally kick my dogs' assess. Both of them, at the same time. I wouldn't have any fear either.
Your dog is gorgeous!
I grew up in Iowa and essentially feel the same as you, so maybe it's a Midwest thing? I would never doubt the raccoon in the first place, just maybe would have assumed he was extraordinarily hungry or something stupid like that.
Ok, first of all....hypercolor. I lied for hypercolor. I had hypercolor socks. Loved it.
I grew up in a medium sized city and never had any problem jus walkig up to a stranger. This is mostly becaus of my best friend M who truly has o fear. I am a freak about having the door locked though. Jut not so muh as my mother who inisists on locking the screen door when she is inside. You know, just in case.
And finally, I will never picture your husband as anyone other tha Fire Marshal Bill. Forever. ANy time you write abou him.
P.S. and unrelated, I thought about you while reconsidering my September vacation because we might miss some season premier TV. When I was laughed at I thought "Tessie would totally get this...."
It's probably because nothing VERY BAD has ever happened to you or someone you know. Once the VERY BAD thing happens to you, you never really feel safe again.
I also think the parents to whom VERY BAD things have happened raise their children to be more aware of the possibilities, too.
Just my lame ass opinion, anyway.
flibberty-YES. HYPERCOLOR. I definitely had one. Looking back, I really don't see the appeal, especially since they would always change color RIGHT IN THE ARMPITS. Ugg.
Sara-Before DVR (PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE DVR) I would have totally done this. I knew people in college who scheduled courses around their shows.
Erica-You are right. I've often thought this myself but I didn't want to say it, because it seems a little...BACK OFF EVIL EYE!!!
Also, I now realize that I misspelled both "Marshal" and "raccoon" throughout the entire post.
God, autocorrect has ruined my spelling forever.
Yeah, but what if the Tivo craps out or something....
I need a backup method. :)
In the hotel by 5pm so we can watch TV....YES!
That is the best picture of the dog!!! The look on his face is the best- he just looks so confident and tough!
I have totally lost my "benefit of the doubt" that I used to have. Now I am a paranoid mess and I hate it. This is why I don't watch the local news anymore.
And yes, I remember the No Fear shirts.
I wish SD had a little more fear when it comes to water. There is a healthy fear that you should have so that you don't go jumping head first in the pool without knowing how to swim! I am the same way with dogs, animals, etc. I don't run at night, but I am out really early and don't have any second thoughts. Of course, I have my phone and mace, just in case.
Tessie,
I'm with you on the spelling thing - usually a huge peeve of mine to see words spelled incorrectly (compliment/complement is my big one). Speak-n-spell was my favorite toy (but alas, I was not a mathlete...I assume you've seen Freaks and Geeks?). I didn't even notice your words, so I must be slacking. In fact, I titled a recent photo of my baby (William), who was wearing an outfit with a fire truck on it as 'Fire Marshall Bill' (cause I'm so original like that), spelled exactly as you did! So thanks for the update; I've changed it now!
Oh, yeah, we had all the No Fear stuff. I thought it was so cool, but didn't feel like I could own any of it since I'm such a colossal chicken.
Do you know, Paul reads your blog now? He was laughing and laughing, saying, "Did you read the RACCOON one?" It IS funny!
WELCOME PAUL! Wait, a GUY reads this? That give me the nervous tummy.
I seriously love your dog! We have our own beautiful Rottweiler named Ike (Eisenhower). When I'm home alone at night I always make him come with me to investigate weird noises. In fact, I like to make him go first.
Post a Comment